What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BBradbury said:
Hello aaron...

I have Aglaonema, Pothos, Philodendron and Nephthytis. I make a large, retangular pocket of plastic netting attached to long bamboo sticks. The netting is secured by plastic twist ties. Simple to lay the frame across the top of the tank and emerse the plant root ball into the tank water. The leaves are held above the water by the netting. There's no substrate needed.

All the potting mixture must be rinsed off the roots before putting the roots into the tank water or the plant will die. The roots take in the nutrients from the fish waste and balance the water chemistry.

I keep the standard HOB filters to filter the tank water at night when the plants slow their filtration work. The filters keep the water moving through the plant roots, so there's a constant source of nourishment for the plants. The leaves grow with the long hours of low light and CO2 from the air circulating in the room.

The great thing about the plants, they require only ambient "room light". I have some pole lamps I leave on 12 hours a day and the plants are thriving. I may have some pics I can post if you're interested.

B

Sounds awesome. Thank you for getting back with me on it but I think the wife would kill me if I was to do something like that lol

My guppy died. He had ich, fin rot. I had to flush him down the toilet because he was going through lots of pain likely because he was swimming upside down almost on the ground. :( :(

75% late water change for the puffer tanks today.

46g half way done cycling. I'm looking around craigslist for used Reef Octopus skimmers and cheap aquafuges.

My mom gave me a yellow canary. I named him Fred. Fred is now the puffer's new roommate.

Fed all tanks. Not sure how many peoples been following along but I have a 10g fry tank in my room with fry in it. I put the mamas in there and let them give birth then back to the community tank they go. Well I was checking out my community tank today and something caught my eye back by the fake plants. Low and behold, a fry! Didn't look like my moon fry so I'm unsure what it is at this point. But I think my betta is fry hunting cause he's never back there but was today after I spotted the fry

I spent the last couple of hours removing plants from their pots. So far all the plants have great root systems. 1 anubias had a great root system, but the rhizome was about 1/8 of an inch. I replanted it with the rhizome above the gravel. It has no leaves. I still have 8 plants that need to come out of their containers. I did some landscaping and moved taller plants to the back. With all the roots now in the substrate they should get more nutrients.

I partially started derimming the ten gallon. going to buy a mini saw to cut off the plastic soon.

Water changed two tanks, cleaned two filters(not on the same tank). Replaced the ballast in one light. That makes 3 ballasts in 6 months. My equipment is getting old:(

Today I test water parameters on my 55g which is in its 5th week of fish-in cycling, did a large PWC to lower nitrites (5.0), retest and they were between 0-0.25...

I test the water parameters on my 40B which is in its 1st week of fish-less cycling, my ammo is still at 4.0, did nothing

Cleaned the 10g, filter, separated plants, put in root tabs and water change.
50% water change on 180, organized the plants in sump by type and added all the cuttings from the other tank. Also cleaned one filter on it :)

1 Dollar per gallon SALE! PETCO til 10/20/

Select Aqueon Aquariums
Save up to $74.99

View Larger Image
Starting at $10.00
with Pals card
Valid Sep. 30 - Oct. 20
Add.gif

Includes 10G, 20L and 40G tanks. Décor, screen tops and lighting not included.
Lowest prices of the year! Biggest tank sale of the year for your small animal, fish or reptile!
$1 per gallon tank sale

Show other PETCO locations where this is featured.

View All Items from this page in your Local Ad.

offer good till 10/20!:fish2:

Bought a @#% load of new plants some cichlid food,fry food and some stuff to help my plants grow! Ohhhh and a snail;)

30% water change. Water test.

And,

I went out to get some shrimp for I ran out and lo and behold, there was a sale on rainbow fish. I picked up 2 turquoise for $3.50 each, and 1 Dennison Barb also 1/2 price for $4.04. I also got the shrimp. Was thinking about another Bosemani Rainbow for $5.00, but they were all female and ichy.

Fed the fish...

Pulled out a molt from my cleaner shrimp, went to my normal lfs stores and got 3 nice corals.
First is frogspawn, second is a leather, 3rd is a dying pipe coral I got and a piece of the leather that feel off (guess I could say I fragged today huh? Lol)

Attachments

• image-3963910527.jpg
    image-3963910527.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2212113097.jpg
    image-2212113097.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2556871492.jpg
    image-2556871492.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom