What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guppies and Endlers and Endlers, oh my!

Wow are there a LOT of babies in all the tanks, livebearers are doing their job a little too well.

All over the place with brand new and weekish old little ones in the Waterbox 30G! Did a ~8G -ish pwc.

Stirred up the sin of overfeeding resulting in a mass amount of brown particles everywhere :facepalm: Turned up the big filter in that tank. Rinsed off all the filter pads on top there to help catch the particles...

Then the 12G Edge... did a 2G pwc, and later came back to about 1.5G of water on the floor seeping 6-7 feet away from the tank.

I had bumped the clump of filter floss and it fell over the out flow of the hob and slowed the water exit just enough to make the water on the intake side dribble over the tiny "V" shaped crack on the housing at the top edge of the housing, time to switch housings! I have an old one in the back of the closet, probably not cracked.

So funny how much mess a couple gallons of water can make.

Made everything inside the cabinet soaked.

Getting ready for the 72G water change.

Then since the 80G tank is nearly clear with just a haze, will attempt the addition of a handful of adults from the Endler Colony QT tank. Just to make sure all is well.

That Endler QT has about 30 newer babies as well in it. The young males are grown up and pretty flashy in Congo Tetras which might very well eat the tiny babies.

If I let this group of tiny babies get bigger then the tank will have a good sized group of the Endlers to hang out around the top and be the secondary fish group with the Congos for awhile. Keeping the Endlers blood line preserved and not mixing them with the others.

Hoping I can get an ID if they are truly a colony of a specific group of Endlers. My first guesses are still pending verification, now that the males are really brighter and will be able to see them at eye level in the 80G, it would be easier to tell. If they're hybridized then easy to mix in with the others.

Might add a group of special (Choprae aka Glowlight or Kyathit aka Fire Ring, Tinwini aka Gold Ring Burmese or ??) Danios or Green Neons, to the 80G.

Frankly I am tired of having the QT tanks full of Guppies and Endlers. Time to get them emptied!

Did a couple ~ 4G pwc on the Wine Glass, had a full top of Duckweed. Kept scooping off cups of duckweed and water. Went into a second bucket still have some dw left floating. Lunch was ready so I wrapped it up.

Will work on the removal of duckweed and just keep a little Dwarf Water lettuce.

Also still need to pinch off about 20 longest Tiger Lotus leaves so I might have a chance to catch the Neons, there are probably 30-40 leaves in there!

Removed a spare heater that was still in the Wine Glass from the other nano tank, it's plug is way behind everything.

Tuesday, I was getting ready to leave, and the air pump wasn't really bubbling. It powers the sponge filter for the wine glass and a spare bubbler for aeration. I wiggled it and off it went back on - as I was going out the door it was silent, it wasn't working again.

So I removed it and added the the near new Fluval adjustable air supply I got a month or 2 ago and used in the QT instead of there. Again hard to unplug behind a big cabinet. Laying on the floor, fighting spider webs... :eek:

It is soooo quiet compared to what was probably a 1980's air pump, I LOVE it. (y)

<<<<<>>>>>

My new part time job ? Re-doing all my fish tanks. (anything instead of cleaning out the garage :rolleyes: ) Soon will be caught up though, no more excuses.

Also have been eyeing a new tank to replace the black 12G Edge, it is on sale - just trying to decide - it is on sale, so leaning towards yes, I am pretty sure my daughter wanted to buy me a present - lol!

Last edited:
Earthmother,

I want to but i do not have a good camera and it is hard to see unless you’re in person.

I’ll post some photos somewhere with them

Edit: quick googling revealed they’re bronze cories, aka green cories, but were sold as emeralds...

So now I have green cories and emerald notreallycoriesbutbasicallycories.. awesome

Well almost electrocuted myself over a leaky water jug... As well as managing to cut myself SPECTACULARLY working on the canister for my new palladium...

Snails out of QT went in the CPD tank. Three assassins and three mystery snails.... shrimp just don't do glass algae!

Ordered coral rubble, cholla, and ramshorns for the palladium. Working on resurfacing the acrylic. Its gonna be NEAT!

Yikes, you beat my "water hazard" spill by 2! The trouble we go through to give these guys a good life!

Tested the pH between the 80G about 7.4 and

QT tank 6.7 -

not putting the fish in tonight too much time to get acclimated after the busy day. Added a bit of Kent's Superbuffer d/KH - Calcium and will check in the morning how that did to up it. My guess will be about 7. I can add a bit more still tonight though, have to wait at least an hour I will check it and see.

Moved a couple Guppies Endlers from Grow out to 72G. Male grew up and didn't belong there. Counted maybe 50 fry in there, all the plants are moving with them eating off the leaves /moss.

This is the group I am hoping for being really beautiful and colorful. I am hoping to get more of the color varieties of the males I have in there now.

I had cleaned the glass and checked chems yesterday nitrates are around 10ppm. Today just observing the aquatic population and noticed the female Gold Panda Molly floating behind the fry pen. Yesterday she swimming around normally. Today she died. RIP my aquatic friend.

El Tigre Endlers maybe mixed up ones
60074-albums14814-picture72550.jpg

Watched the fish and shrimp today.

Took a few pics. Read and wrote about aquatic things.

Did maintenance on the cultures of Springtails and Powder Orange Isopods. Added some Springtails to the terrarium and planted a Maidenhair fern in there before I kill it on the cabinet, as we have very dry air and it wants waaaaay more humidity. Similar to high desert vs. rainforest right now, lol. Killed little slugs in the Isopod colony jar, I used some live moss from a vendor and ended up with tiny slugs. Oops. Never thought of slugs in my moss.

But I do now! I asked about how to rid the substrate and it was recommended to remove Isopods and us Carbon Dioxide / Dry ice to kill them in the substrate. Very smart. But I have so many baby Isopods I'd would worry about killing them.

Fed all the fish some frozen food defrosted Marine cuisine. They LOVED it as usual.

Picked off some algae and bumped fish waste out and old food of the moss on the Waterbox 30G.

Looking for a fan I can mount on the tank. So far none will work on the 1” wide rim.

So I ask my Hubble who can make anything to make me one to mount on the front of the tank. I can open the lid, mount the fan and let it run. Easily take it off when I don’t need it.

He immediately wants to put it on the back.
Nope, those pieces in the back are a p.i.t.a to remove.

Then he wants to have air pulled off the surface instead of blowing.
Nope, I want a fan.

Now he’s mad I didn’t take him up on his suggestions.

I’m ticked he can’t simply make what I ASKED FOR, and felt the need the change it.

I am now surfing the net to find a fan I can mount....

Yeah - a fixer. Good for some things not good for making the fan the way you want.

My struggle will be a future CO2 project because DH -he's better at the how things work and will likely also have the same reaction if I do not want to do it the "BEST" (his) way!!!

Having sympathy for your household discord!

Cleaned up a bunch of excess plants which had accumulated on the plant cabinet which used to be the 12G plant cabinet.

My lime green / golden dwarf babies tears in a jar growing emmersed like a bog in a jar, and the Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' tissue culture from tiny cup to 12/14" vase with a lid "jar" are growing great!!!

My 3G moss jar is overgrowing the top and was causing wicking with the spot where the twisty DW touches at the back side.

It made a ton of mineral residue on the wood which I didn't see because it was at the back and obscured by jars and house plants, and I am short! Removed almost all the duck weed that gets in there because I use the wine tank water and there is dw (less now after cleaning most of it out.

Got that all refreshed. Used a microfiber cloth to wipe off all the glass on the tanks and jars.

Yesterday I fed a good amount of frozen defrosted marine cuisine to the tanks.

Fed a couple of corals.

A couple days ago, I lost a PRL shrimp nothing wrong with parameters and have been doing every other day 10% pwc. Right before that I did a ~1.5G pwc, and not sure what the problem is/ was. It looked perfect but dead :( .

Checked the pH and it was 6.0 and it had been higher so I added a pinch of calcium.

Cleared out another corner of excess cords which seem to build up when tanks are moved. Disconnected unneeded heater, moved a Finnex Planted+ clip light to the PRL tank, just need to find the lamp light timer for it.

Fed the Powder Orange Isopods. Added water where needed.

Cleaned out a bin of misc. containers of aquarium stuff, used up 3 nearly empty containers, ferts, Clarity. Tossed very expired supplements.

Tossed excess containers from the Vinegar Eel era. Just have one good culture and one iffy culture going right now.

Also have little trust in Hornwort and been watching it but do not like having to do that.

Considering whether to combine the Panda Endlers with the others.

Needing to do rinses of the filters.

So glad to be getting so many annoying chores out of the way.

There are 3 empty or near empty in the utility closet / fish stuff closet :)

I have 4 small tanks which need new homes. I am - hoarder mentality kinda wanting to keep (more than) 1 of them. But am committed to moving it along.

Find a used / new SW tank in the near future. Busy with the other tanks right now anyhow, leave well enough alone for the time being.

But if that tank I have been wanting stays on sale I will buy it and replace the black 12G Edge.

And then BUY that new tank!

On a sadder note, Phoenix has been gulping air more frequently (similar to what a Cory does when it shoots to the top for a breath, just from the top 1/3 of the tank as he doesn't go to the bottom half that often).

He has tumors on each side of his chest, which imaging as they grow are making it more difficult to breathe. He is still not skinny so hoping for longer life! Gonna move him to the wine class soon. Where he won't have crazy mommas and fry to compete with.

Still need to clear out a bit more duckweed and also clean the sponge filter. Hope to get the Neons out too before putting him in.

Vase and Jars
60074-albums12102-picture72554.jpg

Wine Glass tank peeking out from it's safety corner...
60074-albums12102-picture72553.jpg

Water and terrarium containers in family room stating at front
Candy jar double stack sand and moss balls topped by Subwassertang jar us since around Christmas

3G Moss and plant jar with twisty sticks
60074-albums12102-picture72555.jpg

3G Terrarium with a couple Isopods and Springtails

Then the short jar is the Golden Baby Tears and the tall one is the Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan'.

Last edited:
Too many little babies!!! There are more and more and more.
Endlers Colony, Panda Endlers, and the mixed tank as so many more as well.

This is the 80G river and some of the babies. Estimating 50-60 fry now, just in that tank.

60074-albums14790-picture72568.jpg

I found a different specieS of snail in my tank it appears to be different its bigger than all the other ones and it's matte black! It also has a different head than the others and is awesome I isolated it to see if I could find a mate for it to see If I can produce more of them!

I am a bit freeked out right now. Went over to give the wine glass tank its Guppy food and Sunset Phoenix his pellets the Guppies came over right away. Betta didn't see at first. It is a curved tank and figured look around.

Glancing the end of the fin of Sunset, behind the DW, I see a Pygmy Cory approach said tail and bite, at it and literally back up and take a tug/ yank of the tail in it's mouth!!!

Sunset didn't really move and I get a split second of panic thinking he is dead.
Move the plant to shoo the Cory and then the Phoenix moves and realizes it's his dinner and goes over to eat.

So he wasn't dead but after he is at the top front of the tank, I see he has a big bulge in the side.

His aim for eating pellets is a smidge off for grabbing up the food. The bulge wasn't there the other day, (took a pic) but the growth would explain the difficulty breathing. I am sad to think I need to order clove oil. My old bottle only has a couple drops left.

Will move him to a different tank for a little bit and see how it goes. It takes 2-4 days to get it. Or I might be able to get it at a store.

Added a pink streaked wrasse and an ultra goniastrea coral I got from Divers Den

So the signature line you have is out of date, lol!?

You do have a tank!

~~~~~~

Maybe trying to off load a trimming of Hornwort locally - it is like this in the 80G as well
60074-albums14791-picture72579.jpg

Some shots of the fish thinking they would get fed, again.
You can see some of the pretty males in there on the first shot.

Plugged in the second light bar as it seemed the Hornwort might need it and in that the HW is covering the entire tank maybe the plants beneath could benefit as well. Vicious circle.

60074-albums14791-picture72580.jpg

60074-albums14791-picture72578.jpg

So the signature line you have is out of date, lol!?

You do have a tank!

~~~~~~

Yeah whoops I didn't update it. I set up a nano reef a few months ago.

Have you ever had a lot of needle dieoff with hornwort? My partner added hornwort to her new tank and the needles have fallen off in a matter of weeks. Wondering if it's just die off due to the new environment.

Oh yes - it seems to be very common. Looks great and then catastrophic plant collapse!

It seems it likes calcium in the water and food and light. Also seems to be good - cool water, colder water. warmer water....until it isn't okay. Just not big changes.

Didn't do anything with the aquariums specifically, but I went to my LFS and dropped a bunch of "Trumpbucks" on hardscape materials and an Eheim 350 canister for the 40B I've been waiting to set up. I've heard such good things about Eheims, I figured it was time to try one out.

I was also relieved to see he was still in business and had customers in the store. (Pet stores are considered "essential businesses" under our lockdown rules)

Back
Top Bottom