What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't do anything with the aquariums specifically, but I went to my LFS and dropped a bunch of "Trumpbucks" on hardscape materials and an Eheim 350 canister for the 40B I've been waiting to set up. I've heard such good things about Eheims, I figured it was time to try one out.

I was also relieved to see he was still in business and had customers in the store. (Pet stores are considered "essential businesses" under our lockdown rules)

Sounds like a fun way to seed the economy with $$$!

Been doing filter cleaning and maintenance the last few days (like 1 per day).

What started that was the power went out 2x a few days ago. And 2 (out of 8) HOBs didn't go back on automatically, and I was out doing tree and branch trimming and didn't get back in for 6 or 8 hours. although at the time of return only saw one off.....

Then the next day one (of 2) on the SW was noticed. So then began the might as well do all of the filters. Not done yet.

The AC110 is barely dripping out water and swirling a lot, and it was recently cleaned couple weeks back and going strong then.

Might need a new motor, or something is stuck in there. That one will probably be next.

Our Colorado Aquarium Society hasn't been able to meet or have the spring auction and so it was discussed to maybe do 3 hour yard sale for members (rotating regions and times, dates), of fish supplies and that way be able to off load excess stuff and chat in small numbers safely practicing social distancing and mask wearing, etc, as required, in a month or so. Thought that sounded a little bit fun. Hoping it goes through.

Spent some time doing maintenance on the SW. Moved a couple rocks and scraped the Coraline algae off the front and visible side glass. Did a SW pwc. Found some algae too. Cleaned off the heater of Coraline algae and a little bit of green algae. My experiment of reduced water changing and using additives for the nutrients like calcium combinations and trace products by Brightwell and Fluval, while maintaining the salinity, didn't turn out as the simple fix some people said it could be.

Also I figured out how my Hydrometer with thermometer broke last time and now...

The hinge of the glass tank top makes the perfect place for smashing the glass at the tip. Open lid, Hydrometer bobs up and down until in the exact indented place - hold it just right, and smash with the hood glass when closing the top after a water change! Perfect! :facepalm:

So many more baby fish. At least 3 new batches... more Endlers, Guppies and Endler Guppies. Lining up my breather bags for future shipping. Think I saw some young ones coloring up in the Panda Endlers tank. A pretty iridescent variety of blues!

All these fish eat a lot of food!

Second half of my online supplies fish foods, FX-5 and AC hob fine filter pads and Accu-clear, Stability order arrived yesterday.

Last edited:
Added more water to the tanks today. Splashing water drives me crazy now days!

The 80G Innovative Marine tank has a different overflow and makes noise even if it is an inch or so low. I need to find out what on earth I can do. I think only auto top off unit. Will need to talk to someone with this type SW tank for any pointers or suggestions.

And I ordered a new Fluval Edge 2.0 12 gallon white. My cabinet for it is white and I have been wanting this tank for a few years.

The last time I had money for it, there were none in stock anywhere in white.

It has been on sale for a couple weeks and my DH decided I needed it. Ordered it today, might take a couple weeks to arrive.

That is the good news.

The bad news is I was able to get Clove oil.....and you know that means bad.

Will try one more day with Epsom Salts.

Thai Betta Sunset Phoenix is still eating, gave him Brine shrimp. He is a plucky little guy.. His chest is bulging on the side seriously. I am pretty sure it is kidney failure now.

Really sad.

Today another 50% pwc. Nitrates are a bit high, so I'll do another pwc tomorrow morning I guess that nitrate pad is not as good as advertised. Or maybe it's burnt out already. For the first I had to scrape green algae of the front glass. Normally I only need to use the scrub pad...

I also setup a 10G tank for the Mollie fries and juvies... Was to be a quarantine tank...

Water changes on a few tanks.

Phoenix Sunset is okay but not good, got a big bulge, 2 really and having a hard time swimming. The Epsom Salts allowed him to reduce the bloaty-ness. Medication seems a possibility, and tried to order but it could take 4 days to a week. Then went to the 2 lfs and was disappointed. Petco said they do not sell actual antibiotics or other type meds.

The other store was very limited and out of stock.

So I need to find out if the far away locally owned lfs is open has what I need tomorrow.

Need to move the "Panda" Endlers which are maybe NOT really Panda Endlers. Their baby male looked like El Tigre.

3 more days til my new tank arrives. They sent an email letting me know it might be 3 days could be sooner but could be later.

Third 50% pwc today on the 125G in 3 days. Nitrates down to some where between 5ppm and 10ppm. The water is crystal clear. The aquatic denizens will happy that this will be last pwc for a few days. I have it down to a science now, 15 minutes to drain 50% and an hour to fill. I the winter I may need to fill even slower to minimize the temperature shock....

I'm looking into other methods of controlling nitrates... More plants, a nitrate reactor, some new fangled biochemical compound, different food source...

Still waiting on the 10G to begin cycling. I jump started the tank with substrate from the 125G. I may need to crack open the FX6 and seed the sponge filter in the 10G with biomedia to speed up the process. Ahh the joys of tank cycling...

The ammonia in the 10G dipped to .25 - .50 ppm. Nitrites are zero, but nitrates are up to 10ppm. Spiked ammonia back up 1ppm. I'll check it again in the morning.

Sat and tried to figure put why my huge looking minnow native fish things have "bristles on their head like BN plecos! Weird! And they all have it!

Sat and tried to figure put why my huge looking minnow native fish things have "bristles on their head like BN plecos! Weird! And they all have it!

Not Anchor worms?
breeding / head tubercles?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Found my new fish tank did not arrive on Wednesday but was sent on Wednesday. Supposed to arrive tomorrow!

Pwc on 2 tanks

My Betta Phoenix Sunset is doing fair. Hoping the wrap up on the medication ends well. If he is still okay but not well, I will try maybe Kanamycin. Still looking into options on that.

Public holiday today, so no work for me. But my wife has to work, so i have a spare day to do tank maintenance.

200 litre community tank. Took out my wood and picked off 100's of nerite snail eggs with a dental scalpel. Still loads on there but its a lot better than it was. Gave the back of the tank a gravel vac while it is accessible without wood in the way. Plants where looking very overgrown so gave my java ferns and amazon swords a severe trimming. Probably took out 50% of the plant matter. With store prices on java fern, probably thrown away £20 of viable java fern offcuts.

End result.20200508_124002.jpg

When I found them the males where bright red in color in their body and what I think are females are green body. So I hope it's breeding

Are anchor worms common in cold water native fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on track with pwc. Performed 50% pwc on 125G tank. Eventually I'll need to trim back the plants. The java fern has many offshoots... The taller plants need a serious trim.

Spiked the 10G to 4ppm ammonia yesterday. Its dipped to 3ppm this morning. Nitrites are zero and nitrates 5ppm...

This is how my new aquarium arrived

60074-albums14653-picture72637.jpg

60074-albums14653-picture72636.jpg

60074-albums14653-picture72635.jpg

60074-albums14653-picture72634.jpg

Nuuuuuuoooo that's terrible hope for refund! And write bad review hate postal service they don't care about their job!

Rats! Suck!

Feel sad and distraught.

Been trying to get this specific tank for appx. 4 years now. Always something gets in the way it is a old release dated tank. It has always been a favorite irregardless. I love it. My stand is white. I decided on a white tank style with it. Then it has been out of stock (over and over and over) again. or the full expensive price I do not wish to pay. One day at around 1-2AM no email messages. Then (later ) in the morning at around 7 or 8 am, Email, your item is in stock. Go online to purchase when I saw th eemail, maybe 930 or 1030AM and then it is out of stock.

And similar happened with another company which told me after I called asking what the heck happened, and they said too many broke!!!

2 years ago I think. Then the other tank was a black one but bought it from a guy who won it and it fell - not my fault, and was broken glass too. It is maddening.

The company said it was too expensive of an item to just mail me another right away. They sent a return label and said once it was scanned in they could send a new one. They only have one left in stock. Or I can buy the replacement for the broken part, and they will reimburse me.

So go to Fluval and ask for them to send me a new glass. And pay, and then get reimbursed. Then what on earth are they going to do with broken glass returned in a box with a bunch of new stuff that goes with it...? Throw it away I am sure. Wasted items - Very frustrating.

Oh, and Phoenix Sunrise chest swelling is reduced. But I noticed it looks like he is having a harder time eating his pellet. Which makes me think his tumor is growing up towards his throat more now.

This also makes me bummed out. He seemed happy for me to be around him and I feel like he misses his tank mates to keep him company I might add a guppy in there to see if it makes him happier. Thinking that over.

Also using some Epsom Salts. His fins look fine, his face seemed to look uncomfortable. He is not rapid breathing or anything tell tale right now. Will be waiting it out a couple more days unless something happens to indicate immediate action would be needed. He has one more dose of medication in the morning.

Also possibly going to be ready to mail out 3 orders of misc. Guppy /Endler unsexed fry next week if anyone is interested please PM me what your situation is for wanting to keep these guys. You will have too many fry in 4-6 months, and they eat a lot of food and need plenty of filtration and water changes!!!

I will check, but I think it would be appx. 20 fry and a pregnant female or 2 (or 4) for the shipping fee (I think is $8.30) plus $1.00 per Kordon breather bag.

Just got some small bags in the mail from a member / the small shrimp size, it might require 2 bags. Been some time since I mailed fish. Prices have gone up at the ole USPS. There may be a lower price option, will on check that.

These fish are stressing me out with how many there are. Before I let loose the Congos in the one tank, I rather share some off. There are too many to go into the 30G, as it is basically full as well. PM only please.

Had to go get more Betta Pellets for Phoenix. Congos like them also.

Happy Mother's Day tomorrow for all the mothers out there! (Even fishes mommas) :flowers:

Last edited:
Autumnsky, wow. If too many tanks are breaking in transit you would think they would package them better!

Autumnsky, yeah one would think they would pack them better...

The ammonia in 10G tank has been decreasing and nitrates have been increasing, while nitrites have remained zero. Today there are nitrites, roughly 0.25ppm, maybe a tad more... Ammonia has been decreasing about 1ppm daily... So looks like this bad boy is cycled... I'll check chems again in the morning.

So true, appx. more than 2 inches of air and a light weight piece of double cardboard. Key area is the lip on top of the glass cube. Pressure to that can crush the top. And does.

}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Sad note. That Phoenix Sunset /Imported Thai Betta has passed. Last night he was lethargic. Today gone. Was hopeful of extended life, but with progression of illness symptoms, his passing was not unexpected. Still very sad, going to miss him. [tears]

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

Did pwc on the PRL and Panda Endlers tank. Last night fed shrimp. A new food from the sample packs. It seemed to be popular. Trying to process through the ones I have to see which might be something to purchase for the future.

Accidentally left the tank lights on the PRL tank 2 nights before last and it caused a blossoming of algae tufts and hair algae. Removed a bunch of that. Planning to scrape off some from the DW. Not really on the glass. Just the hair algae in the plants and the tufts on the DW. Probably a couple more pwc tonight.

Took today off to recover from too much Mother’s Day celebrating. I did my PWC and a Thrive S ferts. Cleaned the front glass. Fed the little beggars too.

Back
Top Bottom