What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I didn't do much, I fed my fish bloodworms and watched my fry gobble up a lot of them. Tomorrow I'm gonna do water changes in both my tanks and clip some plantlets off my java fern

Today i spring cleaned my five footer,and rearranged some bogwood and flooded the floor at the same time:eek: I really should have made sure the pipe was fitted better :banghead: so got a nice squelchy carpet now:hide:

Moved around my rock caves still not sure what im gonna do with them n played around with the heater adjusting it n makin sure i know how it works before i add fish but im gettin tired of a fishless tank so im gonna buckle down n set it up so i can get fish this week hopefully..

Vacuumed the sand, 30% water change cleaned the pre filter pads, and fitted a reflector to my lights. My Malawi's have never looked so good!

Did 75% water change for my puffer tanks. My fahaka has not torn up my Java moss and lace fern yet. I will add red cherry shrimp to the sump.

My 46g has finished cycling. Now I just need to pick up the fish next week.

Did a 50 % on my 20 high, then tested Still High Nitrites, Not as cycled as I though :ermm:, Going to do another water change again today. Still depressed from losing my job on friday. Most likely high levels in my tanks because I waited a little long to do them from the stress. My hubby and I got new fish, glofish on sale @ petmart till end of today. 2.99 Vs 5.99 per fish. Going to go change the water on my 29, clean my 10 gallon guppy tank. They all died for some unknown reason, and the 6 that survived are in my 29 in a breeder net.
Well off to do chores.

Six Months w/ No Large Water Changes

Hello All...

Emersed another Aglaonema land plant in one of my tanks. Have a dozen large plants in that tank. Water very clear, no visible algae. Ammonia and nitrites must be at "0" and nitrates low. Noticed a dozen or so new, "Livebearer" fry in the tank. Corydoras in the tank are very active in the low light, so water must be extremely clean.

Tank running 6 mos. with water changes at 2 gallons weekly just to service two mid sized HOBs. Filtration at 400 gallons per hour (gph) in a 45 G tall. Good aquatic plant growth in spite of the high oxygen environment required for the emersed plants.

Interesting how floating certain land plants in the tank will keep the water chemistry totally stable with very little new water added.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello All...

Emersed another Aglaonema land plant in one of my tanks. Have a dozen large plants in that tank. Water very clear, no visible algae. Ammonia and nitrites must be at "0" and nitrates low. Noticed a dozen or so new, "Livebearer" fry in the tank. Corydoras in the tank are very active in the low light, so water must be extremely clean.

Tank running 6 mos. with water changes at 2 gallons weekly just to service two mid sized HOBs. Filtration at 400 gallons per hour (gph) in a 45 G tall. Good aquatic plant growth in spite of the high oxygen environment required for the emersed plants.

Interesting how floating certain land plants in the tank will keep the water chemistry totally stable with very little new water added.

B

So all u do is float the palnt in the water? Do you float just the roots or what? Would love some more insight into this

Went to Leslies Pool and bought a bag of PFS. Changed substrate on my two 10 gallon grow-out tanks during PWC today. I rinsed it outside before adding, then waited about 3 hours before restarting my filters. Covered the filter intake with nylon stocking just to be safe. Water isn't that cloudy at all. What a difference - I should have done this sooner.

Hello aaron...

I just remove the plant from the pot and rinse all the potting soil from the roots. The roots must be cleaned off to be exposed to the tank water. The roots are aerated with aquarium tubing attached to an air pump. The pump moves the water through the plant roots and the roots take in the dissolved ammonia, nitrites and nitrates from the fish waste, and faster than the good bacteria.

I use the HOBs for the period at night, when the land plants slow their filtering work. Then the good bacteria takes over when the tank and room lights go out.

The land plants only require ambient (room) light and a food source, the fish waste. The roots stay under the water, with the leaves above to take in light and CO2 from the air in the room.

A simple coop between fish and plants and I have a tank with a balanced water chemistry and very minimal water changes.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello aaron...

I just remove the plant from the pot and rinse all the potting soil from the roots. The roots must be cleaned off to be exposed to the tank water. The roots are aerated with aquarium tubing attached to an air pump. The pump moves the water through the plant roots and the roots take in the dissolved ammonia, nitrites and nitrates from the fish waste, and faster than the good bacteria.

I use the HOBs for the period at night, when the land plants slow their filtering work. Then the good bacteria takes over when the tank and room lights go out.

The land plants only require ambient (room) light and a food source, the fish waste. The roots stay under the water, with the leaves above to take in light and CO2 from the air in the room.

A simple coop between fish and plants and I have a tank with a balanced water chemistry and very minimal water changes.

B

So I have to have an airstone underneath the roots? And can it be any land plant?

My water changes on both tanks were a few days behind, I feel so guilty. But this thing called a job wants more hours. As much as I don't care much for this job thing, without it, I can't support my addiction;)

I bought the wrong kind of plants. Pet Smart had peacock fern in their fish section. Put them in the tank anyway, and the silver dollars are happily eating them.

San Raphael Catfish said:
I bought the wrong kind of plants. Pet Smart had peacock fern in their fish section. Put them in the tank anyway, and the silver dollars are happily eating them.

Gotta have a good diet lol. Sorry bout your plants.

Did another 30% water change and fitted a TMC Flexiblue for night time viewing!

Attachments

• image-2817218955.jpg
    image-2817218955.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom