What do I do if my glodfish won't eat the peas for swim bladder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evilpheonix94

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of my Black Moores has a swim bladder issue that is keeping him from staying upright and is making him tired, but he won't eat the peas! He's only about three inches long and keeps spiting out the pea when i give it to him :facepalm:. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:D

Hi,
We need some more details.
How long has the tank been set up?
How many fish and what kinds?
Is the tank cycled?
What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
What do you normally feed them?
Any other issues or jut the floaty fish?
Fancy goldfish like your moor are prone to swim bladder issues.

What are you feeding him?
Peas are great but they do not cure SBD just offer a little relieve.

If its flakes soak them in a cup of water till they sink then add the water this will make sure they don't gulp air from the surface when feeding. I like using sinking pellets along with other quality foods and veggies.

With no sure fire cure for SBD you can try to give him a gentle squeeze but be very careful if you try it not much pressure and you will know if you help you will see the bubbles but again this is a last ditch effort

How long has it been since he ate? Since Goldie's have no stomach they don't store nutrients like other fish so feed smaller amounts 3-4 times a day. I can't stress how much a proper diet keeps your fish healthy

Welcome to AA!!! You are practically my neighbor (im in mont co-horsham)! We definitely need some more information in order to be able to better help you. If you can answer Mumma's questions, it would be great! We also need to know the size of the tank (gallons). If you dont understand any of the questions, please let us know & we can explain! :)

Thank you so much for replying! It's my first time keeping a tank, so I'm really sorry if I'm a bit ignorant on these subjects. Anyway, I have a 15-gallon, 13.5"X25" tall tank that I have had for almost three weeks now. It is aerated, hopefully it is cycled, if i have done it properly, and i have four small goldfish in it; two black moors and two fantails. I am hoping to upgrade them to a 29-gallon as soon as possible, but I only have this tank for now. The nitrate is 0, nitrite is 0.1, my tap water has a pH of 8 and I am trying to lower it with water changes and chemicals if needed, ammonia is 0, and the alkalinity is relatively high and I am working on this as well. I startes out feeding them Omega one flakes, but now I am feeding them Omega One sinking pellets and Freeze Dried brine shrimp. The other three appear healthy and happy as far as I can tell. The sick moor was one of the two first I got, but the other(a beautiful fantail) is lively and perfectly fine. The sick one now doesn't swim as much, but when he does he's upside-down. I have also found a suspicious,white plaque-looking substance that coated part of the aerator tube and I have no idea what it is...:(
Thank you for your input, it is seriously appreciated!!!:D

What are you using to test your levels of amm/nitrite? You will need to upgrade these guys as soon as possible because you are heavily overstocked- 29g is not going to be sufficient. They will need a minimum of a 50g tank. Check out craigslist/philadelphia- there are some good deals on there! You really should start doing 50% water changes daily until you can upgrade their tank. Make sure you use water conditioner dosed to the size of your tank & temperature matched water (match the temp of the new water to that of your tank water). Your sick guy may recover on his own with healthy water (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, less than 20 nitrates). You also should consider adding some daily veggies- cooked broccoli florets, cooked spinach, cooked deshelled peas are easy options (no canned veggies-too much salt). Please ask questions if you dont undertsand or are unsure about anything! :)

Reactions: jlk
Hi,
Thank you all for your input and incredible support and advice, but sadly, my moor, Popeye, is now swimming in the giant freshwater aquarium in the sky. He was a great fish and I will miss him very much. I will definitely remember this advice and ask of your help again if any other issues arise! I also found that the tap water in my area is naturally hard and the white stuff was just deposits that are not a danger to the fish in any way! I will do the best I can to get them a larger tank, but I will change the water daily until then! Mumma.of.two, I will definitely read the info in that link! Thanks again guys!:thanks:

R.I.P Popeye!:fish1:

I am so sorry about your fish! :( Def keep up the good work with daily water changes until you can upgrade these guys to a bigger tank- 3 fancies will still need atleast a 40gallon tank. If we can be of any help, please let us know!!

Back
Top Bottom