what do i need? New to saltwatertanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imcgary

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is my first attempt at a saltwater tank. im planning on starting with a FOWLR tank. Im not sure what kind of fish i will eventually keep i am open for suggestions for a new saltie. I have kept freshwater fish before so i do have some experience. basically I NEED YOUR HELLLLLP!!! 8O [/i]

I too am new to the hobby but this is what I have gathered so far.

Tank (Larger the better)

LR should be 1.5 - 2.0 lbs per gal

A good saltwater test kit

Cycle the tank fully (WITHOUT FISH - It is cruel to place fish is such a harsh environment)

Protein Skimmer

Sump Tank (optional location to store equipment - heater, skimmer, etc)

Make sure the fish you get are compatible - some can be very territorial

I look forward to seeing/reading about your setup

Good Luck and Enjoy

Robmar has some great advice. If you are going FOWLR, you could get by with out the skimmer and use the money for other equip/critters.
I would also suggest getting
garlic (helps the immune system and stimulates feeding)
zoe
selcon (both are great additives for healthier fish)
get a refractometer instead of a hydrometer, easier to read and much more accurate, IMO.
What size tank are you thinking?
As for fish, I like to browse liveaquaria.com for ideas, there is also saltwaterfish.com, thatpetplace.com. I generally get most of my equipment from drsfosterandsmith.com. Take a look at those sites and any other to get an idea.

my tank is 125g. i got a very godd deal on it. but now i have to buy all the STUFF. $$$

If the tank is not already, I would reccomend having it drilled and buy a suitable sized sump, as Robmar has already pointed out, this is optional, however, since setting up my tank I wish I would have done this at the start, as I am now having to look into buying a hang on overflow to set up my sump , having it drilled now would require alot of work.

Well lets get started. You`ll need to start by planning out your tank now. Is it going to have a sump and/or a refugium? Are you going to have LR and LS? Are you going to get a skimmer? I would plan everything out and once you get your equipement and Rock/sand/water we can start.

I'd start with buying a good book before you consider anything else. Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" would be that good start IMO.

Ignore the outdated method of cycling with fish in it though.

Otherwise, we'll sic Roka64 on you! :wink:

It`s too late I`ve already got him on the trail of some offenders. Keep up the good work ROKA64 (y)
But just let us know imcgary and we will help you one step at a time. Good luck

Otherwise, we'll sic Roka64 on you!
LOL! Meaning this:
"Please do not cycle with live animals"?
Definitely keep up updated!

Back
Top Bottom