What I was told to do. Now I'm second guessing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tank is a 10g Tetra half moon LED. The filter is a combo filter. I have attached a picture.

It has the carbon built inside the filter. I have read that I should leave this in until it's falling apart to keep the good bacteria present and NEVER wash it off with tap water.

Sound about right?

Attachments

• image-657749375.jpg
    image-657749375.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 47
Yep. I would take the carbon out, it's useless after a week or two anyway. Then just was the filter periodically with old tank water.

--Adeeb

You are correct Magnum, don't change the cartridge unless falls apart, which will take a lot of time. Also if you don't want to get in complications, don't remove the carbon from the cartridge, I agree that is not needed but doesn't harm either, so just leave it.
Remember to rinse it with old tank water every month or every 6 weeks.

After your tank complete the cycle, keep in mind that one day, the cartridge will start to fall apart, could take 6 months or years, but one day you will need to replace it. The better way to do it, if possible, is to run a second cartridge together with your old one, at least for 6 weeks, to create enough bacteria in the new cartridge.

Keep up with you water changes, based on your las posted results, you are in the right track with your tank, the tank will cycle soon.

Good luck

Update to my tank.

Last night I did a 25% water change jut as I have done for the last 3 nights. Tonight prior to performing a PWC I decided to test the water. Here are the results.

pH 7.6
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

Is it normal to have zero's across the board?

I tested twice to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom