What is a good algae eating fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

countryfan05

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need a fish that will eat algae (it is green and stands up like little hairs on my live plants) off my plants. Something small because I have almost a full load, any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Lisa

I would have to suggest the Oto (Otocinclus vittatus). I have six of them in my planted tank and they are just the greatest and are very gentel on my plants.

You could also get amano shrimps which are really good too.

how big do the shrimp get? I have 21 fish (small ones tetras, danios, cories, etc) in a 26 gallon.

Thanks for the suggestions :D

Livebearers eat lots of hair algae (thats the algae you described). Otos eat brown (diatom) algae.

Simpte said:
Livebearers eat lots of hair algae (thats the algae you described). Otos eat brown (diatom) algae.

Yeah this stuff stands short like the hair on your arms when you are scared and is green. So like guppies are better than ottos?

countryfan05 said:
how big do the shrimp get? I have 21 fish (small ones tetras, danios, cories, etc) in a 26 gallon.

Thanks for the suggestions :D

When I got my amano shrimps a year ago they were about 1". Now they're about 1 and a half. I don't think they get any bigger then that.

the absolut best fish for this typw of algea is a siamese algea eater. i had a problem with black hair algea on all jy plants and they inhaled it all in less than a week. plus they look pretty cool. i put a link so you can see what thy look like. if u are going to get these make sure they are the real thing and not a flying fox. search google for the difference so you dont get tricked. plus they are also really gentle on plants. a otos would be better than guppies but sae's would be better than ottos. just my opinion though

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/img/sae2.jpg

bad link.

SAE.jpg

That is an SAE, if you are going to look for one, pay close attention to the lateral line, a true SAE will not be a straight line, also where the line goes back into the rear fin, it should taper through the fin (get thinner) not stay consistant or stop at the fin.

They are the cadillac of Algae eaters IMO.

the link works fine for me. i just did a basic a google search and found a picture. just type in siamese algae eater and choose your favourite pic. :)

It came up 410 picture removed here

410 Gone
The requested resource
/gallery/img/sae2.jpg
is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.

hmm. i think i had that algae. and i dont think its hair algae... how long are the "hairs"

i would suggest if your looking for something small, a bulldog pleco i believe only gets to be about 2 inches or so. whiptail pleco, or maybe even just an Asain Algae Eater. also there are a wide variety of snails and shrimp that eat algae. I loved my cherry red shrimp when i had it. didnt eat alot of algae but it pulled its weight.

snails my personal fav are the apple snails... theres also a wide variety of them

krap101 said:
hmm. i think i had that algae. and i dont think its hair algae... how long are the "hairs"

They are small like 1/4 cm, mainly on my sword and Bacopa plants, little tiny hairs and I rub the sword with my fingers and it doesn't come off.

How big to SAE get? This is what I have in a 26 galloon so I am a little worried about adding fish, and I am still dealing with my nitrate at 40 issue from another post.

5 neon tetras
5 zebra danios
3 whitefin red tetras
3 black skirt tetras
4 cories (two pandas two unknown)
2 honey dwarf gouramis
6 snails that came with the plants, don't know what they are

Thanks so much for your help.

I've read that Otos are somewhat delicate, as far as water quality is concerned. I've got several (10, to be exact) spread between my two tanks (70 & 55) and don't have any trouble (despite having extremely high nitrates). They are much, MUCH better algae eaters than my 13" Pleco. The Otos max out at about 1 1/2" and are very active fish. One might even describe them as nervous. Some of mine are nocturnal and some are diurnal. Not sure why. I don't have any brown/diatom algaes. All green, mostly short or long hair. On the glass, the threads can reach 1"+ and on the leaves it seems to stay short (<1/4"). The Otos don't discriminate, they just decimate!

i would add that saes, while the bestest algae eating fish imo, get to be about 5", and it doesn't sound like your tank would be able to support them. and they grow FAST! especially if there's a lot of algae around.

CGGorman said:
I've read that Otos are somewhat delicate, as far as water quality is concerned. I've got several (10, to be exact) spread between my two tanks (70 & 55) and don't have any trouble (despite having extremely high nitrates). They are much, MUCH better algae eaters than my 13" Pleco. The Otos max out at about 1 1/2" and are very active fish. One might even describe them as nervous. Some of mine are nocturnal and some are diurnal. Not sure why. I don't have any brown/diatom algaes. All green, mostly short or long hair. On the glass, the threads can reach 1"+ and on the leaves it seems to stay short (<1/4"). The Otos don't discriminate, they just decimate!

I have had these before and they died, I only got two at a time due to my load, but I like them alot so I will try again. Thanks so much for your help, this site is the best (and always answers my stupid questions). Thanks again.

Apparently, they do best in groups. Minimum of two.

Try acclimating slowly by floating the bag for an hour and then putting a Tbs of your rank water in the bag every 30 minutes for the next couple hours. I know some say that you shouldn't keep your fish in the bag that long, but I've left mine in the bag for as much as eight hours and never had a problem.

Make sure you have sinking algae pellets available for them to eat if the live algae load is low.

CGGorman said:
Apparently, they do best in groups. Minimum of two.

Try acclimating slowly by floating the bag for an hour and then putting a Tbs of your rank water in the bag every 30 minutes for the next couple hours. I know some say that you shouldn't keep your fish in the bag that long, but I've left mine in the bag for as much as eight hours and never had a problem.

Make sure you have sinking algae pellets available for them to eat if the live algae load is low.

I will try, thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom