What is an ideal tank size for an Angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yodlem

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wondering b.c people keep telling me that my angelfish will outgrow my tiny, I now realize, 10 gallon tank

Would it be too extreme to transfer my fish to another tank if I did have a bigger one? Or would it be just the same as acclimating fish from the pet store. (after cycling the tank and do typical acclimation in a bag or something.)

Or is there another solution to my little predicament

Lately he's been mulling around the corner of the tank, and it's getting bigger and bigger each week, and I assumed that this was the problem.

If you cycle the tank first you can transfer the fish. I would not put an angelfish in a tank less than 30 gals. But the bigger the better. :)

I had 1 angel in my 18 gallon (though I probably shouldn't have!) I now have 2 angels (plus everything else in my sig) in my 56 gallon and they seem pretty fat and happy (attention hogs!)

Someone on here said that a 20H was specifically designed with angels in mind. I wouldn't put more than 2 in a 20H though.

Angelfish are one fish that do well in tall tanks. I have one angelfish who's fins are so long compared to all the others. Unfortunately she/he is shy and can't get a decent photo.

Things should actually be more gentle than bringing it home from the pet store, since your tap water chemistry should be the same in both tanks (ignoring changes that happen after water changes in the tank). You'll still want to do the bag thing for temp differences, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to gradually acclimatize to the water by slowly increasing the new water percentage in the bag, but it shouldn't be too dangerous if you're going into a cycled tank.

Just for encouragement, five or six weeks ago I took all the fish out of my main tank (including an allegedly fragile discus) and drained it in order to completely redo the substrate with no losses. I only saved five or ten gallons of the original water (what I could hold on hand). Just be careful not to temperature shock, and do plenty of water quality tests, and you'll be ok.

Angel fish are happiest when there is apir per 30 gallons of water. Now lets say you went out and bought something like a 55 from walmart. You get it setup, cycled, decorated, etc. the best way instead of trying to bag the fish is use a drip acclimation. Don't be fooled by the pet stores, you can easily make a drip acclimation tube for literally pennies lol. heres how to make one:

take a piece of airline tubing around 6-8 feet long and cut it in the middle, then go out and buy a plastic control valve from the pet store, its justa simple valve that connects into the hosing and has a screw you turn to restrict airflow, in this case it will be water flow.
join it in between the 2 pieces of tubing and you have yourself a drip tube.

the process: Get a 3 gallon bucket or 5 gallon and fill it about half way with water formt he 10 gallon. gently place your angels in the water in the bucket. move the bucket to your newly setup and cycled tank. place one end of the airline tubing in your new tanks water, you can use the hood to help hold it in place, or you can tape it, just so it stay under water about 6 inches. screw the control valve all the way down, then bring it back up about 1/2 turn, this keep water from siphoning into your mouth to quickly lol. give a quick suck on the other end to start a siphon, place the end you just sucked on in the bucket. Use the control valve to regualte a flow of about 3 drips per second. Let the bucket fill up the rest of the way. this mix's the existing water from the 10 gallon in with the new tanks water and gives a more suitablke acclimation. I twill take a few minutes to fill up. Be sure to keep an eye on your angels, i fthey start getting stressed you can turn out the rooms lights to help them be relaxed. once the bucket is full and you let them set in the mixed water for about 15 minutes its ok to move them in the new tank, I highly reccomned netting them in the new tank so you don't splash water everywhere, possibly mess up your tanks parameters, etc. Also if the fish are gasping at the top before its over you can run an aristone in the bucket to supply oxygen. HTH

Boo. Wife likes them, but her next choice was tetras which will do great in my 10g. Oh well, thought I should try. Smallest I think I've ever seen, angel, was 4 inches?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom