What is the brown slime in my Salt water vat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyfromlawrenceville

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Gang,
I have an 18 gallon tote I fill with 15 gallons of RO water to keep salt water at the ready. I have a powerhead laying on the bottom as well as a heater. I am getting a light brown algae like slime on the walls of the tote. The lid stays on and the room is dark/dim most of the time in my basement storage room. It only took a few days for the stuff to appear, is this normal, or is something wrong?

PS , I used a powerhead from a source I had low SG salt ( 1.009) water made for another reason, been having light tan/yellow algae in the low gravity salt bucket and I only rinsed out the powerhead real good before putting it into my new salt water vat. I did not sterilized the powerhead or anything like that.

Thanks,

Hmmm, that is a good question. I leave my 32G trash can open.
What water are you using (RO/DI, tap)?
Can you get a pic?
What brand of tote?

Gotta go to work, can send picture tonight. It is a roughneck by Rubbermaid.
I use RO water from the dispensing machine at the grocery store. I used this water in my last PWC on 3 tanks and haven't seen any funky algae growing on the glass. I might mix a fresh batch and use an airstone that is new to see what happens, also will leave the lid off like you do.
Pic coming later, I gotta go !
Thanks,

Joey

Here are the pictures, I also enclosed a picture of my handy plumbing work for easy bucket fills:p

what do ya think is the deal with this brown stuff, it is actually not as slimy as I thought, wipes off easily with a towel. Is a light brown color in the tub, but on the paper towel is more of an orangeish yellow color.

I cleaned the tub tonight and replaced the water with nee RO water, same source, using an air stone and heater thinking my powerhead might be the culprit.
Joey

Attachments

• basketball002 (Small).jpg
    basketball002 (Small).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 93
  • basketball004 (Small).jpg
    basketball004 (Small).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 66
  • basketball003 (Small).jpg
    basketball003 (Small).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 59
I've been seeing it for years in my trashcan. Eevry once in a while, I just wipe it and rinse it out. No ill effects yet.

Samer thing. In the basement. Covered. PH and sometimes a heater - at least the day before I put it in the tank.

Alright, thanks. I won't worry about it then. I never considered saving the power to heat it all week and plug in the heater the night before PWC's.

Anything to lessen my power bill, seems like having 4 tanks running with the hypo QT daily PWC too, my bill is huge!

Joey

Hmm, it seems to be where the ph is pushing the water.
I think if Ray has had no issues, you should be good to go.

we'll see what the air stone does, or doesn't do

It is also brown at the indentions in the tub, where water forcefully comes to a stop at an interior edge. Interesting......:confused:

Joey

Back
Top Bottom