What is this stuff clouding my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright guys, I asked this in chat last night, but didn't get an answer. I have little TINY things free floating in my tank. At first I thought it was free floating hair algae, but I was told that it's not likely to be free floating, and there is a TON of this stuff. It just looks like little tiny hairs, maybe 1 mm or 2 mm long. They look white, but that's just because of the reflection from the light. If you weren't looking for them, you wouldn't see them. My fish don't seem bothered by them, and it doesn't make the tank look THAT bad, but I still don't like it. I though the sponges in my filter would catch this stuff, but apparently not. The sponge I use is this. It's a 20 ppi (pores per inch?) sponge made for rena canister filters, but I just cut them up to fit my AC 20. They're much cheaper than the purpose built ones by AC. Anyway, do I need a finer sponge? 30 ppi, 40 ppi? 20 ppi doesn't seem that fine. I would try to take a picture, but that's pretty much impossible, as these things are too small. Any ideas what it could be?

Back
Top Bottom