what is wrong here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so my 10 gallon has been cycled for a while.. almost 2 months. So far we have had 3 ottos a betta and now a goldfish die in this tank! What is going on!? All tests come back good NitrIte 0ppm, nitrate 10ppm ammo 0ppm pH 7.6.. any and all thoughts welcome and appreciated!

Also, the gold fish only survived 14 hours, so whatever is killing the fish it acts fairly quickly.

i had a similar problem and it turned out my large pink guarami was killing them , maybe one of your fish is a bully

xwesx1978 said:
i had a similar problem and it turned out my large pink guarami was killing them , maybe one of your fish is a bully

That would make sense but all the fish in this tank... Are dead

Sparky74 said:
Was the Goldfish smaller than the Betta?

The betta and ottos died.. I waited 2 weeks to make sure water was ok, yesterday got a goldfish and this morning found it dead.

My friend had something like this happen in his 55 turns out he was replacing the evaporated water with untreated tap water and the chlorine was causing him problems

Big-j said:
My friend had something like this happen in his 55 turns out he was replacing the evaporated water with untreated tap water and the chlorine was causing him problems

I don't mean to be shooting down suggestions but I feel it might help narrow the issue.. I use prime conditioner every water change and evap add

Ok if you were on this site I figured you were, my point was that there may be something in the water the test doesn't pick up on that's causing problems, sorry for the confusion :)

How did you acclamate them? If your water is fine then acclamation could be the problem. For example if you add the water in the bag into the tank thats a BIG no-no. Also did you float the bags for ten minutes and then added water slowly?
For the otos you should have waited longer IMO, they are super sensitive fish so you should've waited about another two months when the tank is stable.

Maybe it is something that got in the water from the room. Air freshener or cleaning stuff(windex)...

Yea I realize now how sensitive and how hard it is to supplement food to ottos. I did the drip method with the goldie. Floated bag, and slowly added water till the amount doubled.

roydooms said:
Maybe it is something that got in the water from the room. Air freshener or cleaning stuff(windex)...

+1

For the longest time I was having a similar problem in my girlfriend's 10 gal. Nothing would live, and the water was perfect. Even fish that had thrived for a month long QT at my house died within a week of getting there.

What it ended up being was that my girlfriend's mom would spray Lysol around the whole house every time she fried something (finding the link was actually kinda fun, it seemed they died every time we ate fried food, and we had to do some detective work from there lol). We asked her to stop spraying around the tank and I'm happy to report that everything worked out fine (this was 3 years ago).

Oh and it's probably worth noting that the tank never seemed to be going through any mini-cycles (ammo and nitrite were always 0), so I suspect the Lysol itself was killing the fish somehow.

Hopefully your problem is just as easy to fix!

Well I know we had one of those auto spritzers on a book shelf, the tank could have been in the mist fallout so I won't rule that out. But my wife did say it hasn't been on for about a month, we take extra care when cleaning around the tanks. I wonder if I should move the 10 so its next to my 29. Since this tank is thriving in this spot, I wonder if this place setting would help the 10.?

Hey it probably wouldn't hurt, just be careful with that transfer.

That said, have you purchased all these fish from the same store or different ones?

Different stores, which is even worse. Just a thought, is there such a thing as adding too much prime?

Back
Top Bottom