what is wrong here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May I suggest getting one of those Seachem Ammo Alerts that go inside the tank. Just to rule out ammo without having to add 6 drops, spin around twice, do a back flip, etc every time you want to get a reading.

I was given some for Christmas and they do work. Not as accurate of course as the test kit and I would not rely on it, but it is good for detecting spikes/etc. I tested it by adding some ammonia to water(no fish of course in tank). It read it within 15 minutes. It does take a while for reading to drop after you change out water, but it does go back to "safe" when ammo is removed.

That way each time you walk by the tank you can glance to see if you are getting an ammo spike. If there is ammo in there, I've found it reads it. How accurate is the ppm reading? Haven't compared it, but for me at least, I'm not concerned with level of ammo when it should be zero. My concern lies with any detection of it.

They are supposed to last about a year. That I can't confirm, but the one is still going @ 6 months.

May I suggest getting one of those Seachem Ammo Alerts that go inside the tank. Just to rule out ammo without having to add 6 drops, spin around twice, do a back flip, etc every time you want to get a reading.

I was given some for Christmas and they do work. Not as accurate of course as the test kit and I would not rely on it, but it is good for detecting spikes/etc. I tested it by adding some ammonia to water(no fish of course in tank). It read it within 15 minutes. It does take a while for reading to drop after you change out water, but it does go back to "safe" when ammo is removed.

That way each time you walk by the tank you can glance to see if you are getting an ammo spike. If there is ammo in there, I've found it reads it. How accurate is the ppm reading? Haven't compared it, but for me at least, I'm not concerned with level of ammo when it should be zero. My concern lies with any detection of it.

They are supposed to last about a year. That I can't confirm, but the one is still going @ 6 months.

Awesome! Thanks for that info, I will certainly look into these.

I can attest to the Ammo Alert too - first discovered them when I saw my LFS used them in every tank they had. It's useful to do a daily check.

No words of wisdom for your fish though, sorry you've lost so many :(

I can attest to the Ammo Alert too - first discovered them when I saw my LFS used them in every tank they had. It's useful to do a daily check.

No words of wisdom for your fish though, sorry you've lost so many :(

Thanks, it has been a terrible few weeks.. Just hoping I can get this tank going cause it looks awesome with the plants in it..

Back
Top Bottom