What kind of sand to use and how many Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neontetra0131

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering what kind of sand and how many cichlids I can put in a 30 gallon aquarium? What aquarium mates can I put in with them. Thanks in advance

I used African cichlid sand and it's great because you don't have to worry about adding anything to your tank to help with ph. The only thing is that it's kinda expensive. You can use pool filter sand and that makes it look very natural. Just rinse it very good so it doesn't cloud your water too much.

I'll look into that as you can see I don't have anything in my aquarium how many can I get in a 30g and what tank mates will work? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400207089.105943.jpg

I just noticed you didn't specify African cichlids. Do you know if you want Africans or South American or central?

Well since you have a 29g I would say Africans would be better since a lot if Americans get very large unless you go for like rams or apistos. Mbunas are very bright and colorful. They are aggressive but as long as you provide enough rocks and caves you should be good. Maybe someone else can chime in with a number of how many you can keep in a 29g.

I hope so cause I'll be buying stuff here in a week or so just want to make sure the temp and filtration is perfect I actually have two filters in the tank currently. Ones a aqueon 30 for up to a 30g tank and also a aqua tech 5-15.

Ok. The temp for Africans should be about 75-85. I keep my water at 80 degrees. Ph at 7.8. They are pretty messy so you'll need to keep up with water changes or removing poop with a turkey baster.

I usually do a water change every week about 25%-30%. Temp is at 80 degrees and ph is 7.6 as of right now.

I think you should be good then. If your water is at that ph now I would just go for the pool filter sand then. That way you don't spend too much on the other kind. Just don't do gravel. African cichlids like to dig around a lot.

Okay so pool filtered sand it is!!! I'll go look for some this weekend, also I'm guessing I'll need to clean the sand before I put it in the aquarium

Yeah you'll need to rinse it very well. What I did once was put it in a bucket and stuck a hose in and let it run at a low stream for like an hour or so until the water comes out clean

I don't think it would actually. Google a synodontis catfish. They're from Africa and they don't take any bullying from the cichlids.

Cory cats are quite small and peaceful plus like soft slightly acidic water. If you do something like rams or another sa/ca dwarf cichlid community tank they would work with sand as long as it doesnt raise the ph.

I had my water tested yesterday. Temp is 80 degrees, ph is 7.6 nitrates are good. I have double filtration and nothing in the tank. I'll probably go with the pool filtered sand and hope the ph stays the same.

Would like to let you know that african munba need at least a 4 ft tank to spread out aggression. But you could get fry and raise them to about 1-2 inches. Then have a 55 waiting

German blue rams also come in different variations such as long fin and electric blue etc... Depending on your LFS you might only be able to find the normal German blue rams tho.

Back
Top Bottom