What kind of shrimp to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayanearth

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 70G bow front with an Angel Fish, Sail-fin Pleco, Neon Tetras, and various types of rainbow fish. I like shrimp but I don't know what of shrimp to get, any suggestions?Ps I have a small Algee problem.

I have ghost shrimp. I like them alot. It's fun to watch them all come out when I feed the fish. :)

I also have 3 zebra nerite snails for algae. They don't reproduce in fresh water but they do lay their eggs on my driftwood. I don't mind though.

Ghost shrimp are harder to see than the other varieties so they may be worth trying out. Plus they are usually pretty inexpensive- less than a dollar. During the day my ghosts hide under the driftwood and in the plants. They do come out when I feed the fish, but they mostly come out at night. And they are FAST like lightning. If they are eating and a platy or neon gets too close it's like zing! And they are outta there. I think perhaps they would be better at surviving than a bright cherry shrimp. It's up to you if you want to give it a try though. Good luck! :)

Ive had some very large ghosties. Here I can get 24 for 8 bucks, most seem to be gravid females when I get them. ~50+ in my planted community tank and they are out 24/7 rummaging and also a blast when I feed the fish.

Amano shrimp are great fish! I love mine. They can't reproduce in freshwater though .

+1 on the Amano shrimp - super active little dudes and would be fine with the tank inhabitants.

Here are mine, they're almost 1" each! Do you know how big they can get?

Attachments

• image-2991279630.jpg
    image-2991279630.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 93
  • image-1866888594.jpg
    image-1866888594.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 76
  • image-2173376177.jpg
    image-2173376177.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 73
Liveaquaria.com and another source say a max size of 1.5 - 2 inches and they live about two years.

I would like the shrimp to help with the algae, but they don't have to fix it.

I love my Amanos they are fun to watch.

Also if you get them maybe if you added them at night when the Angelfish are sleeping they may have a better chance of getting used to the tank, just make sure the Angels are well fed the day or two before and after you put in the shrimp and they should they will be less interested in eating them and more used to seeing them move around with less curiosity.

And they love omnivore sinking pellets, not just algae.

poor Shrimpo. Ive noticed that they seem really hard to keep alive lol. I started with 15 Ghosties and more than a few have not made it. =(

KevinM said:
poor Shrimpo. Ive noticed that they seem really hard to keep alive lol. I started with 15 Ghosties and more than a few have not made it. =(

My ghosties are doing good and keep multiplying by 2. I had 4, now I have 8!

Back
Top Bottom