What kinda fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pizza101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wondering what kinda fish this is. I know he is venomous but uncertain his name!

Attachments

• image-2737946909.jpg
    image-2737946909.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 100
  • image-2812796140.jpg
    image-2812796140.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 103
Yes, scribbled rabbitfish - Siganus doliatus. You might find a bit of confusion with that common name though. For instance, the recently published Fishes of the East Indiea by Gerry Allen and Mark Erdmann uses that name for a very different species, Siganus spinus. There are about 25 species of Siganus all up (including the foxfaces, which in older literature were placed in their own genus, Lo), and they all can deliver nasty stings with their fin spines. I have been stung by several different species through the years and it has never been particularly pleasant - each sting (and you are almost always stung by multiple spines) feels like a bee sting. Where I live in Australia, local fishermen refer to one of the species as "Happy Moments".

Tony

Tony Gill said:
Yes, scribbled rabbitfish - Siganus doliatus. You might find a bit of confusion with that common name though. For instance, the recently published Fishes of the East Indiea by Gerry Allen and Mark Erdmann uses that name for a very different species, Siganus spinus. There are about 25 species of Siganus all up (including the foxfaces, which in older literature were placed in their own genus, Lo), and they all can deliver nasty stings with their fin spines. I have been stung by several different species through the years and it has never been particularly pleasant - each sting (and you are almost always stung by multiple spines) feels like a bee sting. Where I live in Australia, local fishermen refer to one of the species as "Happy Moments".

Tony

That's funny Tony! Happy Moments doesn't sound fun at all.. I really don't worry about him coming after me due to the fact that he is my most laid back fish. He will eat out if my hand and always goes to the back of the tank while I'm arranging or siphoning.

Back
Top Bottom