What level lighting would this be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I got this light fixture:
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Coralife-05611-Aqualight-Aquarium/dp/B000HHQDKM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337798229&sr=8-2
BUT, I replaced the bulbs with this:
Amazon.com: Aqueon Coralife 05625 Colormax T-5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamp, 48-Inch: Pet Supplies
And this:
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Coralife-05637-Fluorescent-48-Inch/dp/B0017675GI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1337798375&sr=8-3
So, regarding plants, would this qualify as low or medium lighting? Would it grow:
Cabomba
Anubias Nana
Anubias Coffeefolia
Dwarf Sag
Blyxa Japonica
Marsilea Minuta
Amazon Sword

I am about to order Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, and Mono Potassium phosphate, and I already have Seachem Flourish, so I'm covered in the fertilizer department. (I do have Seachem root tabs for the Amazon Sword, I may get a few hardy crypts in the future too.)

Thank you all!!

What size tank? 48" I believe means it's a 75gallon, right? And wattage would be 28W? If those assumptions are correct then since it's a regular T5 fixture instead of T5HO you can follow the normal watts per gallon scale...

Below 2 watts per gallon = Low light <-- 28x2 = 56, so you're under 1 watt per gallon if you have a 75 gallon tank
2-3 watts per gallon = Medium light
Above 3 watts per gallon = High light

I think you're a little on the low side for anything but the anubias on your list. The cabomba and sword might tolerate it, but the dwarf sag and marsilea minuta are going to get really leggy on you because they'll try to grow taller to reach the light.

Also, the extra fertilizers aren't going to be very helpful since the lighting will be the limiting factor on your plants' growth rate. Algae on the other hand has lower lighting requirements so you may end up getting an outbreak as it eats up the nutrients that the plants can't use. I'm still learning about the whole planted tank world though, so I'll let one of the experts correct me if I'm wrong :)

Back
Top Bottom