What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it all started about a month ago...

Someone told me about bettas and I started to research them. The more I researched the more I liked them. Now I have a fifteen gallon tank with a betta, four harlequin rasboras, two juilli Cory cats, two platys, two mystery snails and a Pleco.

I was at Pin kaow (Thai restaurant) in Las Vegas. My two year old daughter was fascinated with their fish tank. I decided that day to go to Petsmart and buy a Beta fish and tank for her. I went in looking to spend $20 and ended up purchasing a 20 gallon all in one tank, rock, plants, fake coral, dechlorinator. The next day after being on the internet I found myself buying, a Master water tester, net, bacteria seed, fish food and 4 danio's. This was supposed to be a pet fish for my 2 year old daughter and has turned into a lot of work but well worth it as I am having fun trying to get this tank the way I want it.

My dad had a 75 gallon goldfish tank when I was 4-8 and I loved goin to pick out goldfish for the tank. He took it down but now he helps my brother and I with our tanks

I had a Betta and two African Dwarf Frogs for 2 years. After my roommates killed the frogs by overfeeding while I was on vacation, I had to replace them. I decided that a big aquarium would be a great project especially for my new living situation. I figured the biggest that my Ikea dresser could handle was 20 gallons so I bought that size and started. I've learned a lot as time has passed since getting it six weeks ago for example, I just had all of my fish die in a span of three days from some disease. Hopefully, I'll get that eradicated and can start over with healthy fish. I'm sure once I move again into a bigger place, I'll want more and bigger tanks.

I like water, I like fish, and i've always liked aquariums but i never thought about starting one. Then a few months ago i stopped to visit a creek just to look around like i use to do as a kid. And under a rock i found a small little catfish about half an inch. I decided to take him home keep him in a bottle and bought a 1.5 gallon tank from wal-mart the same day. Started doing research on what type of catfish it was and realized i would get way to big. So i returned it to the spot i found it. but i had that small aquarium and i knew i shouldn't try to fit anything into it. So i decided to get a 10 gallon and now im thinking of getting a 30 gallon and from there i might go bigger. That little catfish inspired or motivated(however you want to see it) to start an aquarium.

Nimo said:
I won't switch but might have to sample the salty side. lol

I just started a fresh water tank and all ready want to try saltwater when I've figured this out.

Well one day I saw a betta fish at my local Walmart and me and my 2 brothers decided to get one for each of us. So we took them home and they were happy in their half gallon divided aquarium. And as the days went by my brother betta died. And then a year later my other brothers fish died. So my fish turned out to live the longest and I proved to everyone that I can take care of a fish properly. So them I decided to get a 1 gallon for him. Because I got more confident. He lived happily in it for a few months. So then I thought to myself 'I think I want to start an aquarium'. So then I kept pestering my parents about letting me keep a 10 gallon aquarium.

And then they finally gave in and let me. So know I have an established aquarium that has been running for almost 2 years. I'm currently trying to persuade my dad into letting me keep his old 20 gallon that he has stored in the shed. But he won't let me because he's afraid it might have cracks in it since its kinda old. It used to be for his red devil cichlid.

My Dad always had a big 50 gallon aquarium growing up with 2 clown loaches, 2 cories, a big pleco, and a HUGE frontosa cichlid. I've always just been really interested in aquariums because of that.

Fish Girl

I've always had an interest in fish. I just think they're so cool. The way they live is so unique~ I used to have a goldfish when I was 7 as my first pet of my own. I also used to keep a betta as well later on. I have a fascination with marine life too. I'm just a fish person~ :D

My parents got a freshwater fish tank when i was little, and i loved watching he fish swimming around. Now, years later, I decided to give having my own tank a shot! I hope to have a long bout of enjoyment with my fish and fish tank :)

Actually to be honest I didn't. You see we had our first family tank as a 72 cichlid tank. I wanted saltwater but my dad said they were too hard and explained to me some of the reasons why like the salinity and gravity of the water which is kind of where my fish keeping knowledge began. Then I noticed how freshwater fish are almost as good and they demand less responsibility and more enjoyment. This is how I am a happy freshwater owner, but I want saltwater too.

I don't remember. My first one was a disaster and a mistake. I was working too much and lived 10 miles from it. I sure would like that $1000.00 now.

This time around I guess I was bored, but living back at my mom's house. It was a Christmas gift of a 10 gallon kit. I went gravel free and have planted bulbs in a rubber maid container. The plants did very well under CFL lights and the fish lived in it for about a year. Then the water because cloudy and water changes, filter change did noting. I gave the tank to an employee with filter cleaned gravel, light and heater. I had also bought a bigger filter that went along.

The fish needed a bigger home and a neighbor saw a 55 gallon in the trash and called me on it. I began reading message boards and bought Carribsea and floramax or something because I wasn't a well planted tank. I mixed 2 black and one red, I bought driftwood, black and red lava. plants and fish. My boss wanted a tank for his fishing minnows so I gave it to him. I kept the stand a friend and I built.

The fish needed a bigger tank so I bought a 125 gallon tank new for $402 with tax on lay-a-way. One of my coworkers helped me bring it home. It sat around for a few weeks empty. I built stand because 300 buck is a lot of money. I spent about 75 bucks on the wood and a miter saw. It was like getting a free miter saw and having money left over.

That's where I'm at now. The tank has been running for 20 months. This time, I want a bigger tank. I have my eye on a glass cage that's about 370 gallons. A glorious 130" long which is only 25" bigger than my wall screen is diagonally. The screen would be bigger but I only have a 7 foot ceiling down here in my cage. The tank is 130"x24"x24". It's only $1400.00 new. Getting it to Chicago from Tennessee is about $200. Maybe in March after I get a new car.

I still have 3 of the fish that I had in the 10 gallon kit. They are about 3 years old.

Well....

I got a betta for 4 dollars in a little plastic "tank" on a whim. Now I've spent over 200 dollars trying to get him healthy and create a home for him. What an expensive four dollar fish! Meanwhile, he is so charming and friendly and I am so attached to him. I used to have a pomeranian and he reminds me of her. Seriously. He comes over and flares his gills even if I don't give him food. He looks like he is wagging his tail at me. That is my story. Simple.
Anne Victoria:fish2:

For me it went like this

Went to a fair won a comet
got it a 5 gallon tank and set it up, wasn't satisfied
got a 15 gallon, light, heater, filter, with mollies and platies still wasn't satisfied
got a 55, more filtration, heater, and airpump, Even more Tropical fish
Soon to get 125 tank and set up :D

Ouch. I think that's where we're headed. I caught my husband who supposedly doesn't care about fish, talking BABY TALK to my betta. Then, we went to a pet store and he was gazing longingly at the giant tanks.

Son got a goldfish. Goldfish was too big for one gallon tank. Got an infection took him back to aquarium store. Got a 5 1/2 gallon tropical tank. Decided that was not big enough so got a 20 gallon acrylic tank. Have had that for 3 weeks. The entire process has been 2 months. So when do you think we will get a bigger tank? :)

Son got a goldfish. Goldfish was too big for one gallon tank. Got an infection took him back to aquarium store. Got a 5 1/2 gallon tropical tank. Decided that was not big enough so got a 20 gallon acrylic tank. Have had that for 3 weeks. The entire process has been 2 months. So when do you think we will get a bigger tank? :)

Trust me, when you start going to the pet store regularly like i did it becomes an addiction. Plus bigger tanks are actually less work to take care of, albiet more to set up but it's totally worth it. when i have friends or family come to my house and they look at my tanks and go "wow.... thats amazing" it makes me feel pretty good.

It seems that when I was a child I had quite a few things figured out. things I loved that I didn't get to finish or really truly explore ended up being the things I loved most as an adult.

Gaming
Music
Aquariums

The problem is, I'm a fairly routined person and don't try "new things" very often. So after losing access to fish keeping for a while as a youngster, i never picked it up. 14 years later, here I am starting from scratch.

My Ex, whom is still friends with me wanted a fish; so I helped her set hers up and in turn set one up for myself. Because why not? I remembered. Last night I was up until 5 AM going back and forth to the store to get parts for the 5 gallon I setup last night (already had a fish in abowl but didn't like that idea and he was fairly lethargic) and the entire time I had an ear to ear grin.

I chose this community for no reason at all. I'll be here a while.

hi.

Back
Top Bottom