What should I expect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So should I just leave the tank running in the meantime? When I get the Replenish, should I do a water change before adding it?

swimwithme said:
So should I just leave the tank running in the meantime? When I get the Replenish, should I do a water change before adding it?

No problem leaving it running...only good things can happen :)

Water changes never hurt. If you do try the mineral powder...I'd go ahead and do a large pwc and dissolve the powder into one of the buckets you add back in.

Thanks eco. I am going to order the seachem replenish tomorrow. Its gonna take a few days before I get it in.

The only thing we can come up with is our water quality. We live in Texas and with the drought we've had along with the "bad" bacteria growing, the water suppliers are adding extra chlorine to the water, so I'm wondering if that is playing a role. Just a thought.

swimwithme said:
Thanks eco. I am going to order the seachem replenish tomorrow. Its gonna take a few days before I get it in.

The only thing we can come up with is our water quality. We live in Texas and with the drought we've had along with the "bad" bacteria growing, the water suppliers are adding extra chlorine to the water, so I'm wondering if that is playing a role. Just a thought.

It wont hurt to throw in an extra dose of dechlorinator...but I don't think that's the issue. If your city uses free chlorine...it gasses out over time even without a water conditioner being used. If it's chloramines (a chlorine / ammonia mixture)...as long as you used a conditioner like Prime, Amquel, Stress Coat, etc... which neutralizes chloramines, there's no issue there either. Like I said though...it won't hurt anything to throw in some extra water conditioner.

If you do try the mineral powder (which I'd be super interested to see), the Replenish, Kent's R/O-Rite....it really won't matter which brand, just go with what's cheapest. You just want to make sure it's for freshwater.

If you do try the mineral powder (which I'd be super interested to see), the Replenish, Kent's R/O-Rite....it really won't matter which brand, just go with what's cheapest. You just want to make sure it's for freshwater.

Okay, I just got off the phone with Seachem Tech Support (by the way, they were very nice) Anyway, I told her about my circumstance and she did not think that the replenish would be helpful in my situation. She did try to sell me on the stability product though. (was not pushy in anyway, but she did recommend it) Okay, what are your thoughts. The Nite-Out II - bacteria in a bottle - hasn't seemed to help at all. I am running out of options (and patience):banghead:

You've heard my vote. I'm at the airport so I can't link them now...but I've got tons of articles and write ups detailing all the minerals, electrolytes, etc...beneficial bacteria need to colonize efficiently. All those things are contained on the mineral additives. I obviously can't promise results...but IMO it's the next step I'd take.

You've heard my vote. I'm at the airport so I can't link them now...but I've got tons of articles and write ups detailing all the minerals, electrolytes, etc...beneficial bacteria need to colonize efficiently. All those things are contained on the mineral additives. I obviously can't promise results...but IMO it's the next step I'd take.

Thanks eco. I may go ahead and order it anyway. It can't hurt, right?
Have a safe flight to wherever!:)

ok, so I have ordered the Seachem Replenish from Amazon. Said it would be here between the 12th and 15th. I guess will see what happens. Stay tuned!! :popcorn:

Ok, so I started the process all over again. I completely changed my water and below is my progress. (remember I still have the seeded media in my filter that I got from mt lfs. I didn't take it out, only rinsed it in the tank water. I did add the small amount of bacteria I had directly to my filter. It was maybe a teaspoon)

10/9
C
hanged 100% of water and cleaned all of my decorations with hot water. The only thing I wasn't able to do was take out the sand but did try to rinse as best I could.
PH - 8.3
Ammo - 1ppm (not quite, but it wasn't at 0)
No1 - 0ppm
(added fish food)

10/10 (morn)
Temp 84.5
Ammo - 1ppm
No1 - 0ppm
Added 1 ml ammonia
10/10 (evening)
Ammo - 1ppm
No1 - 0ppm
Added 1ml ammonia
Rechecked 30 minutes later
Ammo - 2ppm

10/11
Temp 84.5
Ammo - between 1 & 2ppm
No1 - 0ppm
Added 2ml ammonia

10/12 (8am)
Ammo - 4ppm

10/12 (7pm)
Added the Seachem Replenish (about 4 capfuls and left it)

10/13 (7am)
Ammo - 2ppm
10/13 (7pm)
Ammo - 2 to 3ppm
No1 - 0ppm
Added 2ml of ammonia
Rechecked at 8:30pm
Ammo - >8ppm
Did a 50% PWC

10/14 (8pm)
Ammo - 2ppm
No1 - 0ppm

10/15 (9:30pm)
Ammo - 2ppm
No1 - 0ppm

10/16 (4:30pm)
Ammo - 2ppm
No1 - 0ppm
No2 - roughly 2ppm (it wasn't the bright yellow color on the chart)

10/17
Did not check

10/18 (7am)
Ammo - 1ppm
No1 - .25ppm
No2 - 2 to 3 ppm
PH - 8
Added 1/2 ml ammonia

Will check this afternoon when I get home from work. What do you think is going on? Wondering why I am showing up with No2 when the No1 never spiked.

Something seems to be working (if I'm following correctly) :). By no1 I assume you mean nitrIte (which is actually no2), and by no2 (really no3) I assume you mean nitrAte? If so, it all seems to be good news! The no2 doesn't need to spike in order for the no3 to show up...that comes later and any seeded media can cause it to actually skip the no2 phase. Now I guess we can't say for certain if the Replenish is what gave it the kick...but that's what I'd like to believe, lol. It does seem like a bit too much coincidence for everything to sit still all this time, just to start moving once the minerals will were added. I'll be excited to keep following :D

I am going to retest tonight to see if anything changed since I added 1/2 ml of ammonia this morning. I'll try to post the readings as soon as possible.

Ok here are my results.

Ammo - between 1 & 2 ppm
NitrIte- .25ppm
NitrAte - between 3 & 4 ppm

Should I add more ammonia?

Seems like things are happening. :D

You could let it go one more day and see how far it drops by tomorrow at the 24 hour mark. You generally just want to dose ammonia once every 24 hours (even if you test more than once per day, and even if ammonia is low at the 12 hour mark).

Ok, so I rechecked this morning at about the 24 hr mark (a little shy but hopefully, it's close enough)

10/19 (6:15 am)
Ammo - still between 1 & 2 ppm
NitrIte - .50ppm
NitrAte - between 2 & 3 ppm

I did not add any ammonia this morning. Should my ammonia be dropping at this point?

Ok, so I rechecked this morning at about the 24 hr mark (a little shy but hopefully, it's close enough)

10/19 (6:15 am)
Ammo - still between 1 & 2 ppm
NitrIte - .50ppm
NitrAte - between 2 & 3 ppm

I did not add any ammonia this morning. Should my ammonia be dropping at this point?

conversion is happening, my ammonia didnt want to drop either. I saw NitrItes before my ammonia dropped. There was probably so little of a conversion that the test kit didnt pick it up. I personally wouldnt put any ammonia in. Its easier to tell the difference between 1 to .25 than 4 to 2. But maybe see what Eco or librarygirl say just to be sure.

10/20 (6am)
Ammo - was still between 1 & 2ppm
NitrIte - 2ppm (although it was so hard to tell between the 2 and 5, the color is so close on the chart, but I'm gonna say it was 2ppm)
NitrAte - around 3ppm

Added 1/2 ml of ammonia this morning, so I'll retest tonight to see if the ammonia levels went up

10/20 (7pm)
Ammo - 1ppm
NitrIte - between 2 & 5ppm (the colors are so close that I can't tell for sure)
NitrAte - 10ppm

Is this good or bad? I assume since my nitrAtes are getting higher each day that I may not go through a NitrIte spike? (since I had some seeded media in my filter)
What about the amonnia? Should I just leave it alone for a day or two and see if it drops anymore?
Thanks for you help! :dance:

Life is good :). I don't see any problems. I'd dose the ammonia back up, test 24 hours later...and that will be your routine for a while. Gotta love it when a plan comes together :D

Life is good :). I don't see any problems. I'd dose the ammonia back up, test 24 hours later...and that will be your routine for a while. Gotta love it when a plan comes together :D

Should I dose it back to 4ppm? The last time I tried dosing it to 4ppm, I over did it by ALOT. I had to immediately do a 50% water change. I only put 2 ml of ammonia in the tank. Should I start with 1 ml of ammonia and test 30 minutes later and so forth?
Thanks eco. I am getting excited. My birthday is Sunday and was hoping to have little fishies by then, but at least it doesn't seem too far off in the distant future.:dance:

Back
Top Bottom