What should I expect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dose it to 4ppm again and lets see tommorrow. It will keep your amm bacteria happy & hope for the best! A note on the nitrite test-if you put the drops in & it turns purple before you even shake the tube, you have crazy high nitrites!

I know I'm checking a tad bit early today.

Ammo - between .50 and 1 ppm so I'm gonna say 1ppm
No2 - >5ppm when I add the Nitrite solution, it did not turn purple right away, however, the result is more like a bright almost magenta color
No3 - 40ppm
PH - 7.6

How are things looking today? I only read back a few pgs here, but i couldnt figure out how long your nitrites have been crazy high-has it been longer than 2 wks? Have you done any pwcs recently?

jlk said:
How are things looking today? I only read back a few pgs here, but i couldnt figure out how long your nitrites have been crazy high-has it been longer than 2 wks? Have you done any pwcs recently?

My trites have been really high since 11/2.
The last pwc was on 11/12. Did about 80%.

My test results tonight.
Ammo - 0ppm
No2 - >5ppm (looks closer to the color chart tonight, but still over 5)
No3 - >80ppm (bright red color)
PH - 7.6

Ok! It sounds like things are progressing! Weds will be about 2wks since your nitrites jumped & the nitrite phase is the longest...so, i my suggestion would be more wcs. My tank stalled on the nitrite phase and the solution was to do wcs until i got my nitrites down to a readable level (2ppm) which took 3 wcs down to the gravel (one after another-ugh!) then a few more over the next several days. From the day i got my nitrites readable, it took 9 days for my tank to completely cycle. I cant guarentee the same thing will work for you because everyones water is different, but its worth a try. The day i did all the wcs to get my nitrites readable, i only dosed the amm to 2ppm for the next 3 days to keep the nitrites from getting crazy again & then went back up to 4ppm on the 4th day. And kept up with the wcs any time the nitrites got crazy. Just a my suggestion on what worked for me! Keep us posted!

I think I'm going to have to get one of those pythons for my pwc!!! Ugh, lugging that 5 gallon bucket kills my back.

Dont remind me....i didnt have one when i did this either (for a 50gal)! I was practically in tears after 6hrs of lugging buckets & considering giving up BUT it worked!!! Im now trying to figure out an easier system for quicker wcs than a python (actually tried a big shop vac last wknd to some degree of success). Still working on this though...

Unfortunately, I don't have 6 hrs to do wc's. I have a 9 month old who requires alot of attention. ;-)

She is adorable!!! I have a 2yr old so i understand!! Makes anything with fish a bit more difficult... Anyway, heres a quick idea i started using to try & figure out how much water i needed to change when my nitrites went crazy. I started with 50%-only fill test tube up half way & fill the other half with tap (so you have a proper amount to test). Check your nitrites & see what a 50% pwc will do. Then fill with 25% with tank water & 75% tap & check nitrites. Then 10% tank, 90% tap & check nitrites. If you still cant get a readable number, then you have alot wcs ahead of you! Hope this helps!

She is adorable!!! I have a 2yr old so i understand!! Makes anything with fish a bit more difficult... Anyway, heres a quick idea i started using to try & figure out how much water i needed to change when my nitrites went crazy. I started with 50%-only fill test tube up half way & fill the other half with tap (so you have a proper amount to test). Check your nitrites & see what a 50% pwc will do. Then fill with 25% with tank water & 75% tap & check nitrites. Then 10% tank, 90% tap & check nitrites. If you still cant get a readable number, then you have alot wcs ahead of you! Hope this helps!

Thank you. She is time consuming, but well worth it!:angel:

That is a good idea. I never thought about doing trite tests that way. I'll have to try that. I'm going to see what my results are tonight, but may be in for wc's tonight....ughhh! I don 't really see it going in the other direction where magically it changed. But stranger things have happened! LOL :ROFLMAO:

Today's results:
Ammo - 1ppm
No2 - >5ppm
No3 - >80ppm
PH - 7.4

Did an 80% PWC
Retested No2 - .50ppm

I added 8ml ammo back to water

I guess we'll see how high the trites are tomorrow.

Good job!!! Lets see if theres any improvment tommorrow!!

By the way, I didn't order a python, but I did order a Aqueon Water Changer.
Lifting those 5 gallon buckets has about killed my back.

Yay, I think!

Tonight's results.
Ammo - 1ppm
No2 - 2ppm
No3 - 30ppm

I guess that 80% pwc helped out!

11/17
Ammo - 1ppm
No2 - 2ppm
No3 - 30ppm
PH - 7.6

11/18
Ammo - 2ppm
No2 - .50ppm
No3 - 40ppm

11/19
Ammo - .50ppm
No2 - .50ppm
No3 - 40ppm
PH - 7.6

11/20 - skipped

11/21
Ammo - 0ppm
No2 - .25ppm
No3 - between 40 & 80ppm
PH - around 7
Did 50% pwc
PH - back up to 7.6

It sounds like your almost there!!!! Watch for that nitrite test to turn baby blue (and stay that way!!) and it will be time for a celebration!!!

Happy Thansgiving!

Now down to the nitty gritty...;-)

I skipped testing on 11/22

11/23
Ammo - .50ppm
No2 - .25ppm
No3 - 40ppm
PH - 7.6

11/24
Ammo - between 1 & 2ppm
No2 - 0ppm
No3 - 30ppm

How come I'm still showing ammo? Shouldn't this be going down instead of up? And should I add ammo today or wait until tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom