What size Pump is too big

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otismo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All, 1st timer. ..I have a 50 gallon tank with under gravel and hangover filter. I plan on using a 100 gallon size pump for the UG filter and various bubble stones. Will this much vacuum hurt my fish? Thank you, Otis

I don't, just starting. Plan on neon/cardinal tetras, glo fish, angels, plecos, red tail sharks, goldfish, clowns guppys.. .colorful and ornate looking fish

The goldfish may prefer a calmer area of the tank. Do you know the GPH on the pump?

It's a Tetra Whisper air pump for "up to" 100 gallons. doesn't specify GPH. But my main question is will this create too much downward vacuum?

Sorry I meant on your HOB. I don't believe it will create to much vacuum. You'll know once you start adding fish if they look like they are struggling.

I would not recommend mixing goldfish with tropical, the temps are incompatible, plus angels can be aggressive and goldfish will eat smaller fish if they can get them in their mouth especially if they are comets.

Thank you Toad, That's very helpful, I will follow your advice & skip Gold fish and keep my Angels small
Otis

Back
Top Bottom