What species can Co exist peacefully with cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_lord

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking of setting up a 150 gallon cichlid tank but want it to be a community tank if I do.what would mix with south American or African cichlids apart from catfish and plecostomus thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Africans, next to nothing. For sa/ca I would defer to the experts, some tetras and things with the more peaceful species.

Most Africans are pretty evil and need species only or groups known to work well.

So basically cichlids are best off as a species on its own :)

Some synodontis species with africans.

With South Americans it depends entirely on what kind of cichlids. What did you have in mind?

Just a hypothetical stocking idea for you

2 Tiger Oscars
School of Silver Dollars
Kissing Gouramis
School of Tinfoil Barbs - these will get too large in time
Couple of Clown Loaches, but certainly not 15! Maybe 3-4

Just a hypothetical stocking idea for you

2 Tiger Oscars
School of Silver Dollars
Kissing Gouramis
School of Tinfoil Barbs - these will get too large in time
Couple of Clown Loaches, but certainly not 15! Maybe 3-4

Yes I know 15 was an exaggeration for a community tank! But at least 5 for a proper school!

Mbuna and peacocks I was thinking.i like the idea with oscars with the dollars and I could regime the fish when they become to large for the aquarium.and that would give the tank a nice bit of colour aswell.what fish would you add first to the aquarium or would you recommend too as I know cichlids can be very territorial

Africans, next to nothing. For sa/ca I would defer to the experts, some tetras and things with the more peaceful species.

Most Africans are pretty evil and need species only or groups known to work well.

Not true there are plenty of West African species that would work, especially Pelvicachromis species and Anomalochromis Thomasi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not too keen on the barbs any ideas on a replacement species

Here's my dream African tank

Black sand as substrate
Texas holey rock as decor
Lots of Pseudotropheus Saulosi
Small Pleco

Nice and simple. Males are blue/black barred and females are yellow. Don't know why, but this has been a want of mine for a very long time lol

Mbuna and peacocks I was thinking.i like the idea with oscars with the dollars and I could regime the fish when they become to large for the aquarium.and that would give the tank a nice bit of colour aswell.what fish would you add first to the aquarium or would you recommend too as I know cichlids can be very territorial

Mbuna and peacock mix is not for the faint of heart. It takes lots of carful attention to stocking and personality of the fish or you could have a bloodbath. For your size tan you could easily do a peacocks/haps mix

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'd do frontosa as the main fish, then some haps, calvus, or Malawi eye biters for some variation. Throw in a large pleco, syno., or some loaches for the bottom and call it a day.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'd do frontosa as the main fish, then some haps, calvus, or Malawi eye biters for some variation. Throw in a large pleco, syno., or some loaches for the bottom and call it a day.

No loaches with african cichlids...

Plecos and synos, (y)

You could do school of hatchetfish. Though they may be eaten by an Oscar when big enough

Frontosa are from lake tanganyika, not Malawi.

The general idea of the article still holds. Wildly different water conditions, and far more aggression than the loach should have to put up with.

Also, eye biters and haps ARE from Malawi.

Back
Top Bottom