What species can Co exist peacefully with cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The general idea of the article still holds. Wildly different water conditions, and far more aggression than the loach should have to put up with.

Okay. I know people who have them and the frontosa don't mess with the loaches at all and the loaches have been perfectly fine for years.

But either way, go with synos or a pleco then. The main focus was on the frontosa.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Okay. I know people who have them and the frontosa don't mess with the loaches at all and the loaches have been perfectly fine for years.

But either way, go with synos or a pleco then. The main focus was on the frontosa.

I know it's worked for people but it's really not a great situation for the loaches. It's forcing them into less than ideal conditions, when there are other cool options that will be much happier. Kinda like bettas in tiny tanks, or the oscars that survive in a 20 gallon.

I don't mean to be confrontational or anything, it's just something that I feel very strongly is not good fishkeeping practice.

For the record, keeping loaches with South American cichlids can and does work fantastically, because they tend to be less aggressive and also because the ideal water conditions are much closer for both of them.

Last edited:
I know it's worked for people but it's really not a great situation for the loaches. It's forcing them into less than ideal conditions, when there are other cool options that will be much happier. Kinda like bettas in tiny tanks, or the oscars that survive in a 20 gallon.

I don't mean to be confrontational or anything, it's just something that I feel very strongly is not good fishkeeping practice.

For the record, keeping loaches with South American cichlids can and does work fantastically, because they tend to be less aggressive and also because the ideal water conditions are much closer for both of them.

No confrontation! It was an interesting read. African cichlids aren't really my thing, I was just going off what I've seen done and seemed to be working out well.

Not true there are plenty of West African species that would work, especially Pelvicachromis species and Anomalochromis Thomasi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm speaking for the Africans commonly available at LFS which is usually limited to kenyis, auratus, zebras, peacocks, yellow labs and aceis. That's pretty much the extent of what is locally available near me. I'm sure there are species that can work with other fish but in general most Africans available at big box stores are too aggressive, that was my only point. I also slapped too broad of a label on "African cichlids".

Mbuna and peacocks I was thinking.i like the idea with oscars with the dollars and I could regime the fish when they become to large for the aquarium.and that would give the tank a nice bit of colour aswell.what fish would you add first to the aquarium or would you recommend too as I know cichlids can be very territorial

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mbuna and peacocks for the most part won't work. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Some passive mbuna like yellow labs may work with peacocks, but even that is questionable. Pair peacocks with auratus or demasoni or zebras and you have a blood bath. If possible avoid mixing mbuna and peacocks.

Just a hypothetical stocking idea for you

2 Tiger Oscars
School of Silver Dollars
Kissing Gouramis
School of Tinfoil Barbs - these will get too large in time
Couple of Clown Loaches, but certainly not 15! Maybe 3-4

I also dont think this stocking will work long term. Oscars IMO really should be species only. Just my opinion, not looking for a debate as I usually jump to argument....

Edit: my bad Hensley, this sounds crass. I didn't mean it that way as I typed it but re reading it looks kinda rude.. I just meant I wasn't trying to fuss about it, just an anecdotal thought about the Oscars

I also dont think this stocking will work long term. Oscars IMO really should be species only. Just my opinion, not looking for a debate as I usually jump to argument......

I agree on long term. They'll eat anything that they think will fit in their mouths. You could change out the Oscars for Green Severums or something and likely be okay long term

No confrontation! It was an interesting read. African cichlids aren't really my thing, I was just going off what I've seen done and seemed to be working out well.

African cichlids aren't my thing either, but loaches are definitely my thing, it's kinda an odd fish to be so attached to but I feel they're highly underrated and often treated relatively poorly as "cleanup" fish.

I agree about the oscar/severum switch. Oscars belong in species tanks, really. My severums back in CT are incredibly hardy and get along great with everything.

African cichlids aren't my thing either, but loaches are definitely my thing, it's kinda an odd fish to be so attached to but I feel they're highly underrated and often treated relatively poorly as "cleanup" fish.

I agree about the oscar/severum switch. Oscars belong in species tanks, really. My severums back in CT are incredibly hardy and get along great with everything.

Loaches are underrated yet are some of my favorite fish!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'd be careful with severums. I've read a lot of people call them peaceful and a lot of people say once they hit 6" they become pretty aggressive. My severum has been a complete jerk since she was tiny, she will go chasing down other fish nipping at them. I'm thinking about removing her for a week or two and reintroducing her to see if it curbs any aggression at all.

I'd be careful with severums. I've read a lot of people call them peaceful and a lot of people say once they hit 6" they become pretty aggressive. My severum has been a complete jerk since she was tiny, she will go chasing down other fish nipping at them. I'm thinking about removing her for a week or two and reintroducing her to see if it curbs any aggression at all.

Huh, mine are right around that size but still incredible amicable. Still, they're far better as an option than oscars.

Hello Fishlord,
I think Hensley was kidding ,Truth is I don't know , I'm new here . My advice is if you like the African cichlids go with them and possibly some of those cats that live with them.You will be stoked.
Please do some research and take the advice of some of those who chimed in to help you,they know a lot more than I can remember
I'm in similar boat as you,I have 125 Im going to stock . If you like the south American and or central American cichlids you may be able to have some sort of community if you follow the advice of the experienced and for go the frustrations of the learning curve.
I wish you the best of success .

Would this 150 be a long or a stout? If it would be a long 4-5 Geophagus, Lemon or Colombian tetras and Pictus or Brochis cats would be nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom