What substrate to use for a Cichlid and planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbynooberton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am starting up my first cichlid tank and want to know what sort of substrate I should use if i want to have plants as well. thanks. Tank is 60 gal

Well, it really depends on what cichlids you want to stock. Most of the africans, especially the larger ones, will destroy a planted tank. Plastic plants or very hardy plants would be recommended for them.

Some cichlids like to rearrange the substrate, and you need to keep that in mind as well.

For planted tanks, most people prefer either sand (pool filter sand) or something like Eco-Complete.

Caribsea makes an Eco-Complete Cichlid substrate. I've never used it, so I don't know how good it is, but it probably increases the pH and KH.

I agree, some cichlids will destroy plants so choose carefully. And some cichlids, like South American cichlids don't need a "cichlid" substrate that increases pH, so you can use regular gravel, pool filter sand, or Eco-Complete (the regular stuff).

I'm using it with a pair of Apistos and a good few plants.

Tends to push your KH up.

Make sure to rinse it like there is no tomorrow. The stuff is filthy.

i want to do african cichlids. and i washed the hell out of my gravel... and its still a lil cloudy in the tank. any tips on how to get rid of the cloudyness? should the filter do it eventually?

Turn the filter off maybe and let it settle as long as there is nothing in the tank yet. Should settle down by morning. If it doesn't then the cloudiness is something else.

wont the cloudyness come back if i turn the filter back on? right now i am doing a water change.. havent started cycling yet so i figured... this would help. thx for all ur help.

A couple water changes, 50%, will help with the cloudyness, then maybe put some filter floss in the filter if it's possible. Give it a day or 2 and it will clear up.

Like I said, that grey coast stuff is absolutely filthy. I spent hours rinsing it. Running the filter with something that can pull the dust out will help a lot. This may sound stupid, but I had a HOB filter and cut a square of t-shirt and put it over the filter. I did that a few times before the dust went away. Believe it or not, it picked up a lot of that crap.

My roommate used Schultz' Aquarium potting soil from home depot. It was cheap, but pretty much looked like hard, compressed clay / shale. Tried to rinse it, but no use, it continues to flake off and cloud the water. He only has a simple HOB filter, so he put a paper towel on the back side of the filter media to trap the solids. After changing out the paper towel a couple times, the water was clear by morning.

Back
Top Bottom