What the heck???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jenatronQT3.14159 said:
I just want to clarify that only a negligible amount of beneficial bacteria is in the water column, so water changes do not harm your cycle. If your readings indicate that you need to do a PWC, do it.

Absolutely, 100% agree. If it were a fishless cycle you wouldn't worry about pwc's. With fish in, you've gotta keep the numbers down.

Ok, HELP!!! At school today, this guy used a cup Betta for his project. At the end if the day, he was going to either give it to my teacher or flush it. The teacher couldn't take it, so I stepped in and took it. How should I introduce it into my ten gallon? Should I introduce it into my ten gallon? I know it'll throw off my cycle, but I wasn't gonna let that poor fish get flushed, or go back to the pet store. HELP!!! (the guy did give me special food for it... Does it need it?

Ok, got my little guy acclimated, and he's doing ok. I also did another test.
Ammonia: somewhere between 0 and .25
Nitrites: 5
Nitrates: 40
It's been a few days since I last tested or changed my water, but tomorrow morning I'll do another 50%. I would have done one tonight, but I didn't want to shock the new addition.

you can absolutley do pwc.. it will take many of them to get your nitrites down, and wont take good bacteria out. then nitrites should drop quickly and you should be cycled

dont put fish in until tank is fully cycled, nitrites are too high now.. use the food, then get a bag of tiny pellets for cichlids or other meaty food pellets

Also, it always helps to vacuum very often if you aren't. That way you can get all of the fish food, detirus, etc. which will increase the ammonia then the nitrite levels as it decays.

Definately try to keep your ammonia and nitrites below .5ppm. Unless you have fish that are really sensative to salt, you can add some lightly salted water during pwc. This will help to ease the effects of nitrite poisoning.

Ok, in response to the last three posts.
1. I don't have a gravel vac, so I'm feeding a bare minimum twice a day to keep crud levels down

2. I already have fish in there. Current stocking is 3 black skirt tetras and as of yesterday a rescued cup Betta. I knew it would screw with my cycle, but i couldnt let him get flushed! The tetras are getting an upgrade to a 29 gallon in may, and the Betta will be joined by two ADF's, 2 black mollies, and maybe two guppies in the ten gallon after that.

3. I know it won't hurt my cycle to do water changes, it's just that I have a broken collar bone, and have to get my mom to help me.

Do you have any airline tubing laying around? It can be used as a makeshift gravel vac for the time being.

Okay. If you ever do have some it makes a great syphon. Just keep up with the water changes and you should be done cycling in a few weeks.

I do not think so. Personally I believe they have a fairly small bio load considering their size. I remember when I was little I just plopped my betta in an unheated and unfiltered 2.5 gallon hex. Did water changes about every 3 months. I had him for 6.5 years. Oh how stupid I was.

bioloadisnt the concern, your betta's life is.... do not add fish if ammonia or nitrites are high, a betta can live in a gallon until it is down(or ready to enter after its cycled).. one fish wont hurt, right?.(errrr wrong)... yes fish need to be slowly acclimatized to ammo and nitrites... do not add fish when you are cycling, ammo/nitrite will shock fish not slowly getting use to it(like fish you had in tank from the start) even a betta is sensitive to FAST water changes...

Back
Top Bottom