What type of Rainbowfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatewaylabs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm wanting to add 6-10 Rainbowfish (depending on adult size of the particular variety obviously) and am currently looking at either:

Boesman Rainbows
OR
Praecox Rainbows (aka Dwarf Neon Rainbows)

Anyone have info on either variety or suggestions? Tank currently has a blue gourami, 10 Neon tetras and 6 Julii cories and is 55 gallons.

I'm wanting to add 6-10 Rainbowfish (depending on adult size of the particular variety obviously) and am currently looking at either:

Boesman Rainbows
OR
Praecox Rainbows (aka Dwarf Neon Rainbows)

Anyone have info on either variety or suggestions? Tank currently has a blue gourami, 10 Neon tetras and 6 Julii cories and is 55 gallons.

I've never kept rainbows before, although I have been tempted many times. But I wouldn't suggest baesmani rainbows, although a 55 is fairly large I think 6-10 4.5 inch fish would be pretty crowded, especially since they're very active. What about threadfin rainbows? They stay around the 2" mark and can be extremely beautiful.

I think you would be fine with either personally I would prefer a mature dwarf just because they can be so stunning but both are awesome. Threaded are great as well but staying small would be costly to get them noticed

I think you would be fine with either personally I would prefer a mature dwarf just because they can be so stunning but both are awesome. Threaded are great as well but staying small would be costly to get them noticed

For me I would go with the boesmanis especially of you have a dark substrate

Rainbow Ideas

I am getting ready to re-stock my 45 with rainbows when I transfer my cichlids to my new 55. I am going with 5 Lake Tebera Rainbows and 2 Goyder River Rainbows. Not that the Boesemani aren't pretty, but all rainbow tanks have them, I am going for something unique this time. Check out all the different species, there are other cool Rainbow varieties out there.

Back
Top Bottom