What will eat my copepods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raevyna

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A few days ago I noticed that my tank is absolutely infested with thousands of near-microscopic, flea-looking bugs. After much frantic searching I am 99% sure that they are copepods.

I keep seeing people say that the fish should take care of the problem. But the only fish in the tank is an Oscar and he is completely uninterested. I don't think he can even see them, to be quite honest.

So what kind of fish will eat them? And should I turn up the temperature as well?

Has anyone had success killing the copepods off without doing a complete tank cleaning and all brand new water? This tank is still cycling and the Oscar is a sensitive albino, so I am leary of starting his home from scratch again.

I'm not sure there is a good option to go into a tank with an Oscar. What size tank? I deffinitely wouldn't add ANY fish to a cycling tank. Don't sweat the pods, regular water changes will gradually diminish them. If you're in a rush and have no inverts or desire to keep them in the future, had-a-snail should work.

FYI- The albino will be no more or less sensitive than another color variant.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

they are sign of over feeding. gravel vac more and cut back on feeding. smaller fish tend to eat them but with a oscar he really wouldnt go after them. they really dont hurt anything.

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, we have already cut back on feeding. We were doing 4 times a day, about 10 pellets at a time. But now we've dropped to 2 times a day and only 5 pellets.

I guess if they won't harm my fish than there's no rush. I was afraid they were some sort of parasite or something. I think aesthetically it was a little disturbing as well... it's not every day you look into your tank and see "fleas" dancing around! :)

I will keep doing frequent water changes and hopefully time will do all the work of wiping out the copepods for me!

Thanks again-
Raevyna

Back
Top Bottom