What's a good freshwater fish for sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What kind of freshwater fish is prone to plow in sand? I'm thinking about finding something for my 29g that likes to dig. I am thinking about goldfish in this tank as well. I hear they dig sometimes.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Easy picks, corydoras and loaches.

Thread :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used to like corys when I was a kid. What are Easy Picks?

I just meant those 2 would be easy choices. Lol

A colon would be nice. :D

Go with cory catfish. They are easy to find, hardy, and are rather amusing to watch. I used to have a couple of panda cories in my brothers goldfish tank because supposedly they have a lower temperature preference. Tho my brothers cold water goldfish tank is 74 degrees...

A bit smelly though

Just don't get in a pootin' contest with a guy I work with. He prides himself with clearing the crowds. ;)

Corys, fantail goldfish, and tiger barbs may be what I start this tank off with when I go adding fish once again. Any foreseeable issues?

Tiger barbs are not friendly.

Dwarf cichlids like building sand castles! But than there's always one that just comes along and knocks it over :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That sounds fun to watch. ;)

Having goldfish in the tank will really limit your choices because 1) they're cold water fish and can't be kept in the same temp that tropical fish need, and 2) they are extremely dirty fish and so fish that are sensitive to water quality will not work well either.
One fish that comes to mind that likes to dig, and is a cold water fish is the Dojo loach though. Might be worth researching :)

I used to have a dojo loach as a kid. ...though my research also seems to be showing that there is a significant range compatible to both goldfish and almost every tropical fish I'm finding. I keep my tanks between 74 and 72, which is listed as optimal for everybody. 78 appears to be the upper end of what goldfish likes.

There is nothing wrong with tiger barbs, you just have to be aware of what you are dealing with and plan accordingly.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate it when people say, "omg my tiger barb killed all my fish they're devils I hate them! Don't get them they'll kill all your fish!"
98.6% of the time those tigers that are mean are kept in improper tanks. They need large schools (10+ is best to keep aggression very low), they need large tanks with lots of room to swim about and ignore their tank mates. The larger the tank and school the less likely your tigers are to be mean. In large tanks and large schools with proper tank mates they can be fairly peaceful. Happy Tiger barbs will normally be only "aggressive" to their own kind and nine times out of ten this aggression is just their version of playing around. They're incredibly comical fish and probably one of my favorites!

What kind of freshwater fish is prone to plow in sand? I'm thinking about finding something for my 29g that likes to dig. I am thinking about goldfish in this tank as well. I hear they dig sometimes.

If your seeking goldfish for 'digging in the sand', your looking at the wrong fish. Goldfish may uproot plants in their attempts to eat them but they are definitely not 'diggers'. A 29g will also limit your stock for goldfish to a single fish unless you plan on an upgrade in four to six months or less.

The suggestion of dwarf cichlids sounds more along the lines of what you are seeking as a digger and mover of sand.

Clown loaches are great, need minimum of 4 , but, they are great fish and very amusing to watch, they each have different personalities. You can hand feed them once they get used to you.

Clown loaches are great, need minimum of 4 , but, they are great fish and very amusing to watch, they each have different personalities. You can hand feed them once they get used to you.

Not so much in a 29 g as they get quite large.. smaller varieties of loaches are available though and they do like sand!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm mostly looking for fish that stay 3 inches or less, and colorful. The last fantails I had stayed around 2.5 inches in a 20g for years, though I bet they can probably outgrow a bass in a pond.

Back
Top Bottom