What's a good freshwater fish for sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 to dwarf chichlids... If you can get a breeding pair they might make a nest in the sand :)

Some of them look like bluegill. Me like. [emoji3]

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I may not want cichlids. It looks like you have to bring your A game with them or you'll lose them. Besides cichlids and loaches, what are some other fish worth considering?

I may not want cichlids. It looks like you have to bring your A game with them or you'll lose them. Besides cichlids and loaches, what are some other fish worth considering?

Meh, I understand how one would think that. Corys shift sand, MTS (a snail) and maybe a BGK? I'm assuming if you can't handle cichlids you probably can't handle a knife :/

Are cichlids easy? So far I've just tried research. They are listed as being sensitive fish. ...and the bar room fights they are expected to start with my (purposed) Cory's. The cichlids fall out of favor quickly.

I have a banjo catfish and he's always burrowed down in a different spot. Although it's kind of hard to see them unless you have white sand and he gets along great with my Corys.

Are cichlids easy? So far I've just tried research. They are listed as being sensitive fish. ...and the bar room fights they are expected to start with my (purposed) Cory's. The cichlids fall out of favor quickly.

Apisto cacatoides are on the easy side when it comes to dwarf cichlids..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1403057478118.jpg
    1403057478118.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 1403057488991.jpg
    1403057488991.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 72
South american dwarves move minimal amounts of sand while browsing, if you chose to go with a dwarf cichlid and you want something that moves a lot of substrate you might want to look into shelldwellers, they are tiny bulldozers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will shell dwellers dig up plants?

Will shell dwellers dig up plants?

I'm pretty sure you're limited to plant selection with shellies as they require pretty specific water conditions. I may be wrong though..

I noticed the water conditions too. Most of the fish I like go in soft water at 72-85 degrees F. Cichlids might monkey wrench that.

What's your water like?

PH around 7, fairly soft water (though I need to find a test kit for gH and kH.), and a little iron. My water for the fish is pulled from a well. I keep my tank around 74. My 29g stays at 78 though.

I can probably MgSO4 my water but that may limit my choice of fish away from some of my favorites.

Your water would be great for some rams or apistos. .

I have also given barbs some thought. However it sounds like I may be breaking up fights involving a school of barbs.

Tiger barbs? Mehhhh too.much trouble, you could do 5 or 6 banded barbs, same look less attitude.

Naturally I'm gonna have my usual neons in this tank.

Is it me or do the other barbs look like minnows whereas tiger barbs have a more "fighter jet" triangular shape to them?

Naturally I'm gonna have my usual neons in this tank.

Is it me or do the other barbs look like minnows whereas tiger barbs have a more "fighter jet" triangular shape to them?

Cardinal or even rummy nose tetras would like your water better.. i have a troop of the 5 banded or hexazona barbs.. they are not quite as tall as the Tigers but surely nor streamline like a neon... i just don't like tigers, they are little punks..

yah pretty much..there's a difference between the 5 and 6 banded being the one additional band..

Back
Top Bottom