Whats wrong with my torch??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondachico

Aquarium Advice Freak
What can be wrong with it?

Attachments

• image-2905355124.jpg
    image-2905355124.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 154
Could be any number of things. What do you have for lighting? How long have you had the torch? And what are your water parameters? Once we know these things we can start to track down the problem.

kdpuffer said:
Could be any number of things. What do you have for lighting? How long have you had the torch? And what are your water parameters? Once we know these things we can start to track down the problem.

Lighting I'm using t-5, parameters are all 0 ppm Salinity is perfect at 1.025 and I've had it for about three months

From the picture it seems there is a decent bit of algae on that rock.. do you have algae issues cause if its bad enough then you might as well not even test nitrates and phosphates due to the inaccuracy at that point

Also how many bulbs are you running, size of the tank, depth of the torch, and age of the bulbs?

4-bulbs about 6 months old, it's a 35 gal hex and the torch is about halfway and my other corals are doing fine my candy cane is really big.

This happened to my hammer coral one day and it just never really healed all the way. I mean, its still alive but it never looked the same and i have no idea why it happened....

I have algae on the rocks but it's not a very big deal

Large amounts of algae can be signs of high levels of phosphates and nitrates which won't show up on you tests as high as they really are. It may not be the issue though. Have you tested you calcium alkalinity and magnesium levels?

I've had two torches go bad on me over the last 2 years. Not exactly sure what happens but they seem to just go to a bad condition almost overnight.

How about the flow? It needs some but not enough that it blows around too much. Have you moved this coral at all recently?

Could be the brown jelly disease. Torches are always hit with this disease. I`ll have to add a link I have at home when I get home.

I had it in a rock where the fishes and crabs won't tip it and it turned like it is now but I moved it from there back to the original place and it looks happy now it came out a little more, of I have an algae issue how can I resolve it

First is to find the source which more then likely is feeding.. you can begin by rinsing your frozen foods with Ro/Di water to rid them of all the unwanted juices. Also you really don't need to feed more then once every 2-3 days for most fish. As for getting rid of it the best way would be water changes and a reactor.

Mrc8858 said:
First is to find the source which more then likely is feeding.. you can begin by rinsing your frozen foods with Ro/Di water to rid them of all the unwanted juices. Also you really don't need to feed more then once every 2-3 days for most fish. As for getting rid of it the best way would be water changes and a reactor.

Agreed, another option instead of a reactor is to run GFO and carbon in a filter but the reactor does a much better job. Also if your having problems with it getting knocked down pick up some epoxy to glue it in place. There is actually a putty style out there that I used and it works well. You can even get it in purple to match coralline but only mix up enough for mounting one coral at a time as it hardens fast and it will harden under water too.

Would be interested to know what your phosphates are. Hight phosphates will inhibit calcification.

Looks dead or almost there, not seeing much but skeleton.

Also as stated Brown Jelly disease plagues many LPS corals, hammer and torched are probably most commonly affected and is usually the result of flesh damage during transport or handling. The disease looks just like it sounds, will look like a brown jelly substance on the coral. Usually its advised to frag off the infected head/heads. Not saying thats what happened but just a possibility thats been brought up.

Whats your lighting? Torches really prefer stong lighting. Also all other water parameters would help determine whats goin on.

Madreefer420 said:
It terms of placement what do they like I have metal halides 250w x2 5" above water and tank is 30" deep

Probably would do fine on sand bed with 2x 250's

Schism said:
Probably would do fine on sand bed with 2x 250's

+1 MH is very powerful. You could probably get away with sps in the bottom 1/3 with that lighting

Back
Top Bottom