whats wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fvaruso

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello i have a 55g just got a 406 only have 3 fish and the tank is still cloudy i just think after spending 200 dollars it should be crystal clear can anybody help please

Have you been following the words of wisdom of the LFS and dumping vast quantities of chemicals in your tank?

Also do you have substrate and did you wash it before putting it in the tank?

How long has the tank been up?
What color cloudy?
Did you buy the new filter for the sole reason of clearing up the cloudiness?

Here's the thing. If it is a white milky cloudy then no amount of filtration or water changes will solve the problem. It is a bacterial bloom, not the same kind of bacteria that lives in your filter and stuff and runs the nitrification process. It is normally attributed to over feeding and, please excuse, a lack of maintenance. Vacuum your substrate twice a week for a couple of weeks and slow down on the food to something like every other day. It will go away on its own. BTW, you did take all your old filter media and cram it into the new 406 right?

help

I have had the tank for about three years and had a piggyback filter and it broke so around christmas i got a stupid idea of buying a undergravel filter and thats when it went south turned green so the 1st of march i bought a 406 and natrually i had to drain all the green water out and put new water in and all was fine last couple of days its starting to look bad again not real bad but unacceptable . I have gravel from petco that i washed very well and i only feed about every-other day or so and i have a timer on the lights so their not on way too long. so the tank is only been set up with new filter for 12 days . i have 2 koi and 1 goldfish. and buy the way i have had fishtanks for a long time and never had these problems before with an undergravel or piggyback. i know this filter is very much capable of mantaining 55g it is a 100g canister everything is brand new. but I AM OPEN TO SUGESTIONS:confused:

Are you cleaning the inside glass with a scrubber ? It could look cloudy but it may be coming from slime on the inside.
Is your tank cycled before adding fish ?
I suggest aquarium salt-one table spoon to every 5 gallons, add stress zyme, if all fails, I use Aqueon brand water clairifier.
Thanks for useing this website.

Just a suggestion here, but perhaps you should be considering your tanks stocking situation as well. Exactly how big are the koi & goldfish?

Your issue may be the excess of nutrients being produced by these fish as they are fish with a huge bioload & this may be the main contributing factor in your water clarity situation. A single common/comet/shunbunkin can survive in a 55g by itself until its reached 10-12inches & can no longer properly turn around. Unless the koi are small juveniles, they dont belong in an aquarium setting. They are pond fish that require huge amounts of water to grow properly & live a long happy life.

Back
Top Bottom