When is your tank considered "well established"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
We have all seen those really cool exotic aquarium inhabitants (fish or inverts) labeled for "Well established aquariums". most of these creatures are filter feeders. (This can go for saltwater and freshwater by the way) So how do we know when our tanks are ready for these filter feeders?! Many newbs are probably wondering the same thing, however I do not know the answer. :facepalm:

First let's talk about the reasons that these fish require "well established" tanks. Some fish are sensitive to ammonia and would otherwise not survive an uncycled/fish in cycle situation(GBR, etc). Others require "well established"aquariums because they are messy eaters (predators). The bits of bait fish that fall leave a lot of decaying material in the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So is the answer after the cycle is done? I've wondered the exact same thing before!
First let's talk about the reasons that these fish require "well established" tanks. Some fish are sensitive to ammonia and would otherwise not survive an uncycled/fish in cycle situation(GBR, etc). Others require "well established"aquariums because they are messy eaters (predators). The bits of bait fish that fall leave a lot of decaying material in the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am unsure at what point a tank is defined "well established" but many times the reason certain species require an established tank is because they are sensitive to bad water conditions.

Having a well cycled, running tank that is kept clean and free of ammonia and nitrites (and the trates under control) for a good few months is what I would consider established.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

When is your tank considered "well established"

So is the answer after the cycle is done? I've wondered the exact same thing before!

It depends on the reason they need an established aquarium. Sensitive fish such as puffers, scaleless fish, German blue rams, etc. need a well cycled aquarium that won't risk any issues such as ammonia or nitrite spikes.

Others, such as flower shrimp and other invertebrates like the op mentioned, are filter feeders need an aquarium that has had time to provide sufficient amounts of phytoplankton, algae spores, and other nutritional particles that aren't present in newly set up aquariums.

I'd say 2-3 months for the sensitive fish, 6-8 months for filter feeders.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So there you have it everyone. NigelK8485 has answered the question. I would agree with the 6-8 months statement.

I typically consider a tank well established when the micro and smaller macrofauna start to populate and when I don't have to supplement my otos' diet, but I tend to see things differently than other people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So there you have it everyone. NigelK8485 has answered the question. I would agree with the 6-8 months statement.

Oh geeze, call me out. Now I'll feel terrible if everyone's flower shrimp start to die.

Oh geeze, call me out. Now I'll feel terrible if everyone's flower shrimp start to die.

No pressure lol. I think that you are right about when everything is considered established though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1, no worries Nigel! You've given everyone a decent rule of thumb, which is good in general. I'm sure common sense can be applied to differentiate between fish/invertebrates/setups depending on circumstance :)

It's just another one of those fish keeping sayings that doesn't make any sense IMO because it all depends.

Even tanks that have been set up for a long time can have problems at any given moment.

I think it comes down to how well established you are as a keeper. In other words. Does your tank meet the requirements of the livestock? Can you control the environment to keep the livestock safe? You need to know and should know your set up inside out.

IMO if the answer is yes to those questions you should be good to go.

I've always thought of it as some months after a tank is cycled. I don't believe a tank can be well established or mature immediately after cycling anyways.

Bullet proof I define as going for a year. By then the tank has been through summer and winter plus any tap water variation and should be humming along.

Leaving time for the enjoyable pastime of ..... being down at the lfs plotting your next tank or tanks.

I've always thought of it as some months after a tank is cycled. I don't believe a tank can be well established or mature immediately after cycling anyways.

Bullet proof I define as going for a year. By then the tank has been through summer and winter plus any tap water variation and should be humming along.

Leaving time for the enjoyable pastime of ..... being down at the lfs plotting your next tank or tanks.

Lol what does a mature tank even mean?

Lol what does a mature tank even mean?

It's the point where the aquarist cannot possibly fit any more equipment, fish, gadgets or plants in their tank....

There's a lot of threads I see about having the bio-film established, environmental cycles bedded down, fish reach a decent size, stable tank chemistry or filters are indestructible, etc, etc. Several to 6 months are numbers I commonly see.

For myself, I always groan when I read of an infected fish in a just cycled tank. I shall have to think over night on this but if the tank has been cycled a few months I always feel everything has a better chance.

Thanks! :) This makes sense to me as I could never figure out what it really meant. I mean, I had GBR's in the past and didn't wait long to put them in and they did great! Of course, I kept the water as perfect as possible. So this I can agree with. I don't see what really changes once the tank is cycled. As you said, anything can happen. Even in established tanks in existence for years! The longer you keep fish, logically, the better you get at it.

It's just another one of those fish keeping sayings that doesn't make any sense IMO because it all depends.

Even tanks that have been set up for a long time can have problems at any given moment.

I think it comes down to how well established you are as a keeper. In other words. Does your tank meet the requirements of the livestock? Can you control the environment to keep the livestock safe? You need to know and should know your set up inside out.

IMO if the answer is yes to those questions you should be good to go.

Usually seems to apply to fish that are delicate and aren't up for the swings that happen in newer tanks and ones like otos that feed on micro algae and micro film, the aufwochs. That takes a while to cultivate, and won't cultivate if you keep the tank too clean, so there's that for what would be considered an established tank.

I am unsure at what point a tank is defined "well established" but many times the reason certain species require an established tank is because they are sensitive to bad water conditions.

Having a well cycled, running tank that is kept clean and free of ammonia and nitrites (and the trates under control) for a good few months is what I would consider established.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Then you go buy that new species, throw it in the tank and your water parameters get screwed up and youre thrown into a mini cycle lol

It means you trust it enough to borrow your car or date your daughter?

Exactly. Except for that you trust it with your favorite species...not so much your car or kids...

Back
Top Bottom