When is your tank considered "well established"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did some more reading and settled on an established tank is a tank that you can keep whatever you want in it with little chance of loss. But then I thought you could say that about a QT?!

Then I jumped across to algal growth rates which I figured would be a little slower to establish than hetro bacteria. There it had talk of an early induction or exponential phase when the algal population is taking off and is unlimited with an excess of nutrients, etc. I wondered if this could mean newly established as the tank is in a state of flux still. So algal or bacterial blooms may occur (or increased chance).

The later stages of algal growth had a stationary phase where growth rate and a limiting factor are balanced. I took this to mean this could refer to a well established tank.

Still a reading work in progress.

Interestingly in one thread on SW, the thoughts on a time frame to get a well established tank ranged up to three years.

I did some more reading and settled on an established tank is a tank that you can keep whatever you want in it with little chance of loss. But then I thought you could say that about a QT?!

Then I jumped across to algal growth rates which I figured would be a little slower to establish than hetro bacteria. There it had talk of an early induction or exponential phase when the algal population is taking off and is unlimited with an excess of nutrients, etc. I wondered if this could mean newly established as the tank is in a state of flux still. So algal or bacterial blooms may occur (or increased chance).

The later stages of algal growth had a stationary phase where growth rate and a limiting factor are balanced. I took this to mean this could refer to a well established tank.

Still a reading work in progress.

Interestingly in one thread on SW, the thoughts on a time frame to get a well established tank ranged up to three years.

Hi dela. You're determination and intuition impresses me as always but I'm afraid it's just one of those fish keeping questions you will never find a generalized answer to. People will hypothesize till the cows come home on this one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

An established cycle and an established tank are two very different things!

The cycle will establish in the filter fairly quickly but it takes time to reach out across the substrate etc. 2-3 months is what I would say, you tend not to get mini spikes with stock additions past this point, so, the cycle is established.

The comments on micro fauna are correct, this is where the tank becomes established, 6-12 months is typically suggested, the longer timeframe tends to come from private dealers/breeders and the short end from larger retailers.

Nigel hit it pretty much bang on.

Another hypo. What makes these conditions suitably apply to placing a GBR in it as opposed to a freshly cycled.

Wow. I can't believe 389 people have viewed this thread...I guess it was a good idea starting it!

A tank you can walk away from for a week with no feedings or wc's and the fish will not only survive but find sustenance all on their own.. and an oscar eating a sponge Bob decoration doesn't count people..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A tank you can walk away from for a week with no feedings or wc's and the fish will not only survive but find sustenance all on their own.. and an oscar eating a sponge Bob decoration doesn't count people..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hahahahahaha! That was hilarious. And also good information!

Wow. I can't believe 389 people have viewed this thread...I guess it was a good idea starting it!

That should tell you everything lol. 389 view and a handful of responses. So far we've had 3-6 months, 6-8 months, 8-12 months, micro fauna, algal growth, biofilm, leaving for 2 weeks without worrying and putting whatever you want in with no losses.

I thought of another one - my tank is well established for the fish in there but I've totally given up on neon or cardinal tetras. They are ok in a quieter tank but just don't work in the DT.

It's like the tank is "anti-established" if there is such a word. I'm not sure that's in the fish keepers 'to do' list but I seem to have achieved it.

Back
Top Bottom