When powers out, how will they live??? Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMaiden

Aquarium Advice Freak
That place between sleeping and awake, where drea
Hey all my power is scheduled to go off this thursday and wont be backon until probably June 1st!!! So how the heck will my fish survive like that. If Im doing water chaanges everyday like in a fishbowl do you think theyd make it?? Any suggestions?? I'm going to get battery operated air pumps for them also so they at least will have some aeriatioon. Just need to know if that and the water cchanges will sustain them.

Provide a few air pumps for each tank to keep the water moving. Perform daily water changes. The percentage depends on the current stock. Do not disturb the gravel during the power outage except to remove pockets of fish waste. Also, put the filter media in the tank. This way there is a constant ammonia source and the media stays wet. Hopefully this will eliminate the need to re-cycle the tank.

Power going out for 2 weeks is going to make things difficult. With the measures you mentioned up above, I don't see any reason why the fish wouldn't survive. The plants (if you have them) and bacteria on the other hand most likely won't make it without electricity. The tank could be put in the window to keep plants alive (I don't really reccomend this) but you will most likely get algae growth and you will need to watch the temperatures very closely. As for the bacteria, it will most likely lost and you will have to cycle the tank again.

Now I'm no pro by any means. But if the fish are still in the tank producing waste. why would the bactria leave the tank?
As long as there being fed and producing waste the plant detearating. there sould be a steady flow of bactria being produced and remaining in the tank. I had a 55gal tank stay up with out power for almost 21 days. Doing a 25% water changes daily and a batterie pump only. Will a major power line to a small city was being moved.
I started skiped a day on the water changes after a week. Just so the bactria would keep devoloping. So in my exspearance it'll do great. If you just do a small water change every other day. Then you could also just stick your hand in the tank and shack back and forth to add air to the water. I did and it helped.

Weasel,

glad things worked out for you. I know that many aquarists had similar situations with the hurricanes last year. Some of them were SW set ups too. Air pumps for water circulation can be run on batteries. One could also buy a small gas powered generator, run an extension cord to the fish tank. Or a larger generator and include an extendion cord to your refridgerator as well.

Weasel F. said:
Now I'm no pro by any means. But if the fish are still in the tank producing waste. why would the bactria leave the tank?
Bacteria need an nh3 source and oxygen to survive. If there isn’t sufficient oxygen exchange within the tank both the fish and the bacteria will die. Plus since lights are going to be out photosynthetic plants will suck even more oxygen out of the tank so aeration is even more critical if plants are involved.

Personally I always preferred power heads versus air bubbles in my FW/Brackish tanks for oxygen exchange but with power outages using battery operated air pumps is about the only option if you don’t have a generator.

Since I have extended power outages frequently I bought a 2000W generator for $250. Considering the time you will be without power it might be worth it.

Yea That one of the times I lost power here and I'm 600miles away from them. Our power plant had to pull the load for houston and it was drop service here in Amarillo for 1 to 2 days at a time.

On the PWC letting them get to room temp is the way I'd do it.

Thank you very much for the helpful information all, Its going to be very handy considering what me and the finned ones are facing. I will do what is suggested and keep an eye on things closely. As for the food in the fridge it is all going into my deepfreeze that is loaded with ice so it should last like two weeks and keep the food safe. It will work like the old iceboxs did before we had themodern refrigerators. The hotwater heater is run by gas so no probs there. Cooking however is another story. Going to be campfire cooked meals and candles for lighting. LOL I'm starting to feel like an old western or somethin. I'll post on this as soon as I get power back, It is going off friday at 5 oclock pm time. Estimated reactivation june 1st am or pm dont know yet. Wish me luck all and thanks alot. you are all always so helpful.

Good luck OceanMaiden.......Damn that's a long time without electricity.
Makes ya stop and wonder how they in the old days, but I guess it was just a whole different world back then.

REPRIEVE!! REPRIEVE!!! The power is staying on!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOT!!!!!
Im happy dancing all over the place. Electric company isn't going to cut the power now. I guess whatever they was doing they figured out a way to do it safely with power on. Swapping lines or something. SWEET. Oh well I will purchase those battery opperated air pumps anyway incase this should actually happen in the future. Then I will be prepared.

Yeah, you never know how much you take something for granted until your faced with losing it. Then you realize how truly wonderful it is and wonder how youd make it without it.

Thanks for everything all, and thank God the electricity is staying. We all use it more often than we realize.

I remember when I was still at home and we lost power for 3 days. Thankfully my parents bought a large generator. It saved about 50 fish, a bird, and about $600 worth of food.

Glad everything worked out for you. I guess it's time to start planning just in case it happens again!

Congrats, glad you don’t have to go through that headache
roller.gif
Good idea on getting the backup air pumps.

Back
Top Bottom