Where can I find decent lighting ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been looking around on the net for a 30" Incandescent Light Fixture. I can't find that lol. I was told Home Depot or somewhere like that would have incandescent fixtures, but I am having a hard time finding a 30" one. I am only looking to spend 30$ max here. Strapped for cash. I was also debating if a certain fluoro strip would be better. I need a 30" one. Thanks

30" is kind of a rare size I think for lighting fixtures. Is there any reason that you want incandescent? The light on my 29 gallon (30") is actually 24". I think this is because of the light spillover. You have a 30ish gallon right? The legs on my light allow for some expansion. Also, I'm unsure if incandescent lights (I think that means filament) actually are measured like in 30". They are usually round, so did you mean fluorescent? Fluorescent are the long tubular and incandescents are the screw-ins that you probably use around your home. Compact fluorescent are the screw in spiral-type and/or the bent fluorescents

This may help.. I think (maybe I misunderstood the question)

Aquarium Lighting - The First Tank Guide - Why Are There So Many Types of Lights, and What's the Difference?

incandescent
Incandescent-Bulb-22214756741.jpg

Lol a picture is worth that entire paragraph :p. I could have avoided the embarassment of my ramblings soooo easily.. Thanks mgamer :p

Lol.., I was told it might be better to get an incandescent strip with CFL bulbs. But I am having a hard time finding it anyways. I'm surprised 30" is a rare size for this, but 24" works for me as long as I get decent light over the tank. I have gotten that it is 29 and 30 but more 29 so I will go with that lol. It is 30" long by 18" tall and 13" deep

P.S. thanks for the link :)

30"x18"x12" is a standard 29g. 30" fluorescent fixtures and bulbs are difficult to find. I know Coralife makes a 30" T5HO fixture that uses a 30" bulb. Others are 30" long, but use 24" bulbs. I'd go with the latter, as 24" bulbs are much easier to find.

i had suggested she get the incandescent fixture and then screw in CFL bulbs because she wants to do a low-medium light planted tank. with just a single fluorescent bulb she will not be able to get very many watts over the tank. with 2 CFL bulbs in an incandescent fixture, she would be better off for a planted tank.

You can build your own fixture. If you still have your hood, unscrew the ballast and bulb seating. Then you will have to find I think 4 screw in bulb seats? The rest of the wiring I don't feel confident enough to explain so I think you can google "how to make a multiple bulb lamp" Essentially it's the same.

OR

You could buy two 10g screw in fixtures off the web for 20 bucks and then lay them lengthwise across the tank.

you can go to petco and buy the zoomed t5ho fixture. they used to carry coralife but discontinued them. if you're lucky you might be able to find a coralife fixture at about half off.

Well I am not going to try and make my own... I am not for messing with wires lol. But I will keep on lookin. Thanks guys

I realize that this is over twice what you said you are willing to pay but it would allow you to have all the light you wanted. Even if you decided to go with high light. Plus the moon lights look like they would be awesome!

It's not what I am willing to pay, it's what I literally can afford. I am one broke momma. Literally lol. Going to start budgeting a little better... all these impulse buys >:^) I found this but it is too low wattage and I don't know how I would mount it over the tank. There a couple that I might be able to just put on there... I am going to try switching to a different bulb with what I have now.

30"x18"x12" is a standard 29g. 30" fluorescent fixtures and bulbs are difficult to find. I know Coralife makes a 30" T5HO fixture that uses a 30" bulb. Others are 30" long, but use 24" bulbs. I'd go with the latter, as 24" bulbs are much easier to find.
well with the legs the are 30 inch. the only bad thing with those is you have to get the coralife bulb replacements which run $10 each plus a little harder to find. a standard fixture you can find cheaper bulbs with more options. plus new the coralife fixture like $50ish. i have a few of these though replacing the bulbs suck.

I realize that this is over twice what you said you are willing to pay but it would allow you to have all the light you wanted. Even if you decided to go with high light. Plus the moon lights look like they would be awesome!

So if I got that light, would I have to take my hood off completely? It looks like it will mount right over the tank... My hood is crappy anyways but I am not sure if I will have any jumpers (white clouds, possibly cardinal tetras)

I'm hoodless and I've got white clouds and neons. None of them have jumped yet. The only known jumpers I've had are koi, goldfish, zebra danios, gourmi's and overly excided mbuna and bettas.

This is the 24" model. It's a little cheaper and I'd assume it has less light spillover at the sides
24" T5 HO Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant 96W 4x 6700K - eBay (item 290448940249 end time Jul-26-10 16:03:33 PDT)

I think I have the older version of the light, and for a time I used a glass hood and put it on top. It got really hot, so I decided to just use the legs. I think the glass top for my 29 gallon cost like $15-20, but I'm not sure about a 30.4 or whatever you have :p

Lol well I am assuming my tank is a 29. Did you have the 24" one over your 29 gallon tank? Did it fit good? I think my tank is just an inch or so taller or deeper than yours if I remember correctly from earlier in the thread.

Would I be able to mount the 24" light on my tank (30")? Sounds like a dumb question but IDK if there is a way to mount the legs on the front and back instead of on the sides or something

My light fixture can fit tankes from 24"-32" or mounted from the ceiling using wires. So I'm guessing probably.

I think I have the older version of the light, and for a time I used a glass hood and put it on top. It got really hot, so I decided to just use the legs. I think the glass top for my 29 gallon cost like $15-20, but I'm not sure about a 30.4 or whatever you have :p

So you bought the eBay light? Does it work ok and have decent reflectors? I have asked about that light a lot but no one has bought one...

Back
Top Bottom