Where can I find decent lighting ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought the jebo odyssea 130w compact fluorescent (power compact) 24". It's an okay light (I don't have anything to compare it to. It gets hot and the fans are noisy (I replaced them once with better fans, and it's starting to get noisy again) Taking it apart was kind of a pain, and the wiring got frayed a little. For what I paid compared to a comparable light, I'd say it was a good deal (it was like $45 at the time I think 4 years ago). If I had the choice, I would have gone t5, but they were really expensive back then.

I'm pretty sure that is basically the same thing. I figured since I'm a cheap skate and I can usually make things work pretty well I would get those for my 75g. I can't see the sense in paying twice as much for a light when that one will do everything I want. I'm not trying to get my aquarium in a competition or anything.

lacey if you get a shop light, you will not be happy and you will have wasted your precious $$. Look around on craigslist for a 24" T5HO fixture. they have pull out legs to fit over a 30" just fine. I have a screen over my 90 and I lay the lights on top.

Okay, I suggested that t5ho odyssea/jebo fixture earlier, but as I'm reading more about lights, the reflector and restrike are a huge issue with these jam packed lights. Some threads and stuff I've been reading that 2 bulb fixtures with good reflectors can outmatch a similar 4 bulb fixture with one big reflector. With the bulbs so close together in the fixture, I'm assuming alot of light bounces right back into the light. I'd suggest retrofitting some fixtures, or adding them onto a canopy.

http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

Back
Top Bottom