Where did you get your dwarf puffers??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chikadee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've wanted a puffer tank for ages and I finally have the tank going now. I was originally going to add figure 8 puffers but after doing more research, I don't think I can handle a brackish tank. I really want dwarf puffers but I have no idea where to get them! I asked my lfs and they said that they never have them, none of the lfs in my area carry them, (Petco claimed that they didn't even exist! :roll: ) and I don't want to order them online, just because I don't trust delivery companies in this busy college town and my hard to find apartment. SO... where did you get your dwarf puffers? If it's in the michigan/ohio area, I might be willing to make a drive one weekend afternoon. If you've found them in this area, could you please let me know the name of the fish store and the phone number so I can call? What are some other ways to find them?? Thanks a bunch!! :D

Interesting....my local PetSmart has them in stock and I've seen them in a couple of the PetCo stores in this vicinity. A bit far to drive down here to the Dallas, TX area though. :(

I got mine at Petsmart. $1.99 each. If you have a petsmart nearby and they don't have them, they should be able to special order them in for you.

I got mine from PetsMart as well, and they are about the only store in town who carries them. The true dwarf (Malabar) puffer is a FW fish, though, so it will not do well in a brackish environment.

I almost got mine at Petsmart, but the four in Cincinnati were out and didn't know when they were getting anymore in. Then I found them at Jack's Aquariums and Pets, for quite a bit more $, but I am impatient and REALLY wanted those puffers, so I bought 3 at $5 instead of waiting indefinitely to get them for $2

I am planning on keeping a fw tank, that's why I didn't want to get figure 8 puffers... Where is Jack's Aquariums and Pets? I think Cinci is a bit far for me to make an afternoon drive... it's about 5 hours from here. I don't think we have any PetSmarts around here, only a Petco, but I suppose I can check on their website for locations. Thanks a bunch guys! :D

hehe, Its funny you made this post because I just got back from my lfs and saw dwarf puffers for the first time =o)

Good luck on ur search =o)

The petsmart I found them at was in Parma, a suburb of Cleveland. About a 45 min drive for me, and Im about an hour from Toledo. Don't know how close you are, but if you really wanna drive that far PM me and I can give ya directions.

Tiff

I have been keeping my eye out for Puffers over the last six months or so. Between at least 10 pet stores in Maine, and multiple trips to each, I have only EVER seen two Puffers, and they were $10 each. I almost bought them because they were so cute, but I really do not need a third tank just yet... :)

Alright, it sounds like PetSmart is the place to be! I found a few of them about 30 minutes away from me, I will give them a call and see what they have. Now comes the question of how many... How many in a 30 gal? I'd like to keep some cories, a pleco, some tiger barbs with them as well. Any suggestions?

Well...I would be very careful of what you keep with them. I have mine in with 3 bumble bee gobies. I have heard of people successfully keeping them with otto's as well. Maybe a bristle nose pleco, but that might be it. When they are little they aren't too aggressive...but watch out when they get bigger. They may only be an inch, but their bite is bigger then their bark. But that's just my opinion.

In a 30 gal you might be able to keep ~10...but again I don't know for sure. Good Luck.

I have kept them with tiger barbs and a rubberlip, but when I removed the barbs there was an all-out massacre among the 4 puffers who had been together for about a year and a half. Something about the stress of catching the barbs, or the change in territory.

They never paid the barbs a bit of attention, but it was hard for them to compete for food because the barbs would rush in and snag everything before the puffers could get to it. I fed flake to the barbs first so they would not be so ravenous, and then put the bloodworms in a few minutes later.

Back
Top Bottom