Where to buy root tabs!!?!????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creno9210

Aquarium Advice Activist
None if my local pet shops sell them
Walmart doesn't
I've googled all the aquarium stores in my area and called. Seriously. {mod edit, we are a family friendly site}. Where do you buy them!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon has great prices on Seachem Flourish root tabs. I use them and they seem to work well.

Most commercial root tabs are junk. Instead make your own using time release dynamite flower and veggie (red bottle) and stick that in size 00 gel capsules. They will cost you a fraction of a cent each and will last 3 months instead of the single month on other tabs.

Can you elaborate? Where do I buy these? Thanks so much and sorry for my potty mouth, won't happen again!

Most commercial root tabs are junk. Instead make your own using time release dynamite flower and veggie (red bottle) and stick that in size 00 gel capsules. They will cost you a fraction of a cent each and will last 3 months instead of the single month on other tabs.

What is dynamite flour and veggie? Where are these sold?

Yeah and can I buy them in a store? Looking to do it today if it's relatively cheap $10ish

Hmm so I've called everywhere I can think of. Gnc vitamin shoppe and some other vitamin places. It's a no go :(

Okay, found the dynamite flower and gel caps. What is "veggie red bottle?"

Yeah and can I buy them in a store? Looking to do it today if it's relatively cheap $10ish

So far it's the best to use. I couldn't get it locally so I decided to use a different formula for my root tabs.

dfe6fbd4-a6e9-4c59-85db-df3f68896fdd_1000.jpg

Dynamite 2 lb. Flowers and Vegetables Plant Food-100060268 at The Home Depot

This is the specific 50 / 50 blend that I use. I mix them because the Osmocote doesn't have enough of the micro nutrients that I want while the Miracle grow doesn't have the macros that I want.

75748-albums12252-picture60273.jpg

To further point out the difference I saw when I was using the store bought root tabs compared to the home made ones take a look at these few pictures paying attention to the sword plant in the back of the tank on the middle right.

6/10/2013 - Seachem Flourish root tabs. The plant is approximately 3 months old at this point. Has had a steady supply of Seachem root tabs.

8DMYI4A.jpg

7/25/2013 - A few days before I started using my home made root tabs. Notice the lack of growth over the past month and a half.

8DMYI4A.jpg

8/9/2013 - 10 days of DIY root tabs. Amazon sword, aponogeton at far right in back of tank, and temple plant show the most growth.

jLdkmze.jpg

9/23/2013 - Notice the difference in the same 3 plants from the previous month.

BBjp0VH.jpg

Overall the DIY root tabs cost me about $0.002 each.

Does it HAVE to be size 00? What about 0?

You can use the size 0 but you will have to use more of them. Just be sure to push the capsules down to the very bottom of the substrate and use them sparingly. I use one every 6" square area or so for gravel and maybe half that for sand. I basically just put one underneath each root feeding plant or area for the carpeting plants and call it good.

Oh wow thank you! Nice tank I love the plants!

I only have one amazon sword right now.

I'm going to buy some of that stuff in the red bottle today and some size 0 capsules. (I'm too impatient to order 00 online. Will it be alright with just that one fert? Have you tried it alone?

Also, since I will be using size 0, do I need to use two under my sword? And replace every....2 months?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393353951.361350.jpg

Sadly, the sword is my only live plant right now. If all goes well I will add more live plants :) so very excited.

Just use one under your sword because it will be plenty. I had to mix the two different ferts because I was too impatient to buy them online myself :) The dynamite is currently the best one there is to use that is available in stores. If you're in doubt just check the nutrient listing. There should be a wide range of micro fertilizers as well as a high number of macro fertilizers (NPK). Don't worry about copper on the list as it's a nutrient that plants absorb and the concentration is minute enough that it won't bother any of your inhabitants.

The plants are definitely addicive :) I started out with just that amazon sword and a water wisteria and everything kind of exploded from there.

Okay last question.

Which did you use in your photos? The mix ?

Just use one under your sword because it will be plenty. I had to mix the two different ferts because I was too impatient to buy them online myself :) The dynamite is currently the best one there is to use that is available in stores. If you're in doubt just check the nutrient listing. There should be a wide range of micro fertilizers as well as a high number of macro fertilizers (NPK). Don't worry about copper on the list as it's a nutrient that plants absorb and the concentration is minute enough that it won't bother any of your inhabitants.

The plants are definitely addicive :) I started out with just that amazon sword and a water wisteria and everything kind of exploded from there.

Can you use the DIY root tabs in a shrimp tank or will the copper effect them?

Okay last question.

Which did you use in your photos? The mix ?

I used the mix

Can you use the DIY root tabs in a shrimp tank or will the copper effect them?

The copper doesn't effect shrimp. The vast majority of it in the tabs isn't water soluble. Also, if you notice that on the flourish root tabs as well as most micro fertilizers for aquariums copper is included as well.

I had a colony of the wild type RCS numbering well over 100 until it crashed when I medicated the tank with a supposedly shrimp safe medication. Their numbers are finally getting back up there even though all but 15 - 20 died.

Yes!! They have it in stock!
So this is the best? It's only $9. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393362154.201815.jpg

Back
Top Bottom