Which canister filter do you guys recommend? 55 GALLONS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rena XP 2 or XP 3.

The XP 2 would be plenty of filter, but for the small extra cost of the 3, you get another media basket, which can come in quiet handy sometimes.

The Rena is really easy to set up, works great and is totally silent.

I have had Fluvals and Magnums, and this is by far my favorite so far.

I have been happy with my Fluvals, prefer them over the Magnum filters, never tried the Rena or Eheim's. Inline heaters are great with canister filters!

I use a Fluval 404.

Very quiet, easy to maintain and lots of variation in media choices.

I get very good water flow from this unit, much better than the Aqua One unit i use aswell.

I have an ehiem 2215 2217 on my 55 gallon tank and its great. Never see and ounce of dirt in it. Hope that helps

XP2 will do.The XP3 would be be a fine choice too.

I haven't used some of the others mentioned but I like my XP3 on my 50g...But honestly I think its a bit much..even with over filtration in mind.
It does a great job though.Can't go wrong with it.

GO EHEIM or GO HOME! No just kidding. I don't want to start this argument again. I would go bigger for a 55 gallon tank. Go with a 2026 or a 2126 with a built in heaters. Yah I know it's rated for a tank of almost 90 gallons but you and I both know you're going to overstock that tank. Don't we all? Besides even if you don't use up all of the filtering capability, that just means you can go longer between cleanings. I have a 2126 on my 55 gallon African tank. If you go with plants this filter will give you a 4X turnover in water which isn't bad.

Why drive a KIA when you can have a BMW*

*All comments made by me are the sole opinion of myself and should be taken in a humorous fashion as to not offend owners of filters of other inferior brands. No offence should be taken and non is implied.

sheww hard choice, so many good ones out there, I like my cascade, easy to maintian, quite, dependable, but I like the XP models for there abiliuty to shut off water flow and disconnect the hoses without spilling water, very easy to use, a fluval is nice for there media comparts, a fluval 305 or even 405 dependiong on bioload would work great, if ya want the ultimate filter and don't care to spend the money go with the ehiem sealed wet dry filter, works the same way as a canister but with the benefits of a wet/dry filter, plus they can't overflow, and they hold tons and tons of media, one model even has a UV sterilizer in it

Eheims are supposed to be the best, of course, but I am not on an Eheim budget, LOL! If you can afford the Eheim, go for it! If not, I use both a Fluval and a Rena Filstar and I am very satisfied. Both are very quiet, but the Rena is easier for initial setup IMO. Maybe Fluval changed the instructions with the "new" 105/205/305/405 line, but when I set up my 204 I was about to throw it out the window LOL! Either the Rena or the Fluval is super easy to maintain after you set it up for the first time, but if you are a NOOB to canisters like I was, then the Rena is easier. But after using both filters, I can tell you that they both do a great job.

I personally think my XP2 is just barely too small for my 55gal, -that is with inline co2 reactor installed as well..if i could do it again, i would have gone for an XP3. Very easy maintenance, and no trouble.

I suppose it depends a little on what your bioload is also. I have two Eheim 2217's on my 55 and it stays very clean. I still do weekly 50% water changes to keep the water parameters in check.

I debated about filters over and over again for a while. I had an AC110 along with a 2217 but it was too noisy. I am very picky about noise level because its in my livingroom, right near the TV. Also, while my wife is supportive, I try not to give her any reason to complain about the tank so I keep it quiet :). I wanted the tank to be silent. I replaced the AC with another canister and couldnt be happier.

I have heard only good things about the XP3, maybe someone who has had both can comment on noise level but the 2217 is on par with the XP3 in the price department, so its up to you. Neither will dissapoint.

TomK2 said:
I have been happy with my Fluvals, prefer them over the Magnum filters, never tried the Rena or Eheim's. Inline heaters are great with canister filters!

Pardon my ignorance but what is an inline heater?

tropicfishman said:
if ya want the ultimate filter and don't care to spend the money go with the ehiem sealed wet dry filter, works the same way as a canister but with the benefits of a wet/dry filter, plus they can't overflow, and they hold tons and tons of media, one model even has a UV sterilizer in it

I wish I didn't care abt money -- do you know how hard it is to convince your spouse to let you have a 3rd tank ? LOL

swanandmokashi said:
Pardon my ignorance but what is an inline heater?

A heater that gets placed in-line in the tubing of your canister filter. The water gets heated as it passes through the tubing, instead of having a heater hang in the tank. From what I can tell, its purely a cosmetic decision.

Back
Top Bottom