Which schooling fish best for 70gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have the 70gal down in my signature.

I want to add a school of 10-15 fishes (depending on which fish/size). Which of the following would you prefer and why?

Espe's Rasbora (Rasbora Espei),
Silver-Tipped Tetra (Hasemania nana),
Green Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon simulans),
Blue Tetra (Boehlkea freckochui),
Flame/Fire Tetra (Hyphessobrycon flammeus)

I wanted a small,hardy Tetra/Rasbora (nothing like Neons or Cardinals) and left the color decision to my husband.

I personally dont care for the green neon tetras, simply because its very hard to notice the difference with regular neons.-only a slight greenish tint to the blue stripe.

I like the rasboras that I have, they are active, but don's school that tight.
The blue tetras are cool also, but they look like a cardinal with no red.

I think I would go with the Rasboras, and neons/cardinals or blue tetras.

have you thought about Rummy nose tetras?- They schooled pretty well for me when I had them.

Hey what's wrong with greenmagji :mrgreen: ?

I've heard the rummynose are very sensitive fish like the Cardinals and Neons and I didn't want to throw my money down the drain, because the fishes die without that I can do anything.

It's not bad if the look like Neons or Cardinals, as long as they don't have their diseases, are hardier, and school together well.

So the tetras school better than the rasboras?

I missed that you wanted 10-15 fish when I was thinking of a shooling fish that would pretty much fill your tank with 5.. LOL

and btw.. tetra's dont school any better then rasbora.. Ive had both.. both are good schooler's.
I like harliquin rasbora.. :p

off topic, off topic, ...

I wanted a large school and the one of the species in the initial questions :wink: .

So has anybody experience with one of those species?

My Rummy Nose and Cardinals are extremely hardy. I guess they love my water. I think the 2 look beautiful together.

I think the rasboras may be a little ardier, but that is not based on anything. Ive never had any problems with any tetras or rasboras, but I also had a guy at a petco say my water was "too clean" because there was no nitrates present.

I think you should try 10 neans-they look great and you can find them for $0.99 for small ones, and you could expect to get about 8 staying alive for a long time. I bought 25 for $15 over a year ago and still have most of them.

and

10 Rasboras you mentioned-more expensive but they seem hardy. I bought 6 and still have 5 with no problems ater a few months. But they are more active and donts school as tight in my opinion.

The contrast of these two lookes awsome in my tank.

I hope my opinions were of some help in your descision.

Back
Top Bottom