Which shells would be best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogyspond

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking at putting shell dwellers from Lake Tanganyika into my new tank. It so happens from an art project of my wife's we have a few sea shells around the house.

I was wondering if the shells we have would work well and which one should I put in the tank. Do I need one per pair or for each one that I have in the tank. Also because the fish live in the shells do they do a good job of keeping it clean or should I have a few extras to change out from time to time.

Thanks for all your help.

I am having fun reading everybody's stories.

Attachments

• image-3428257654.jpg
    image-3428257654.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3113797751.jpg
    image-3113797751.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 73
Frogyspond said:
I am looking at putting shell dwellers from Lake Tanganyika into my new tank. It so happens from an art project of my wife's we have a few sea shells around the house.

I was wondering if the shells we have would work well and which one should I put in the tank. Do I need one per pair or for each one that I have in the tank. Also because the fish live in the shells do they do a good job of keeping it clean or should I have a few extras to change out from time to time.

Thanks for all your help.

I am having fun reading everybody's stories.

I would put quite a few small shells in. The males build piles with them and will keep a harem of females in his pile, each female with her own shell. There's a documentary called jewels of the rift. Has some great footage of shell dwellers and their behaviors.

5 is about the only one that would be acceptable in my opinion. If you're really serious about getting shell dwellers use either escargot shells or Japanese trapdoor snail shells.

Back
Top Bottom