White spots on GBR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just noticed 2 white spots on my female gbr toward the tail and on the top fin. I'll attach a pic. Lately she has been swimming at the bottom of the tank but still active.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413509861.581865.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413509873.625210.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I recommend turning the lights off until the problem stops as this will reduce stress and is stunts the reproductive cycle of ich. Also treatment is required but make sure you don't have scaleless fish in your aquarium as most cures will kill them if not dosed properly. Most lfs carry white spot cures as it is a very common problem. Unfortunately the ram does look very thin so it may struggle during the process take as much care as possible and good luck.

You don't have to worry about meds just yet it's not that severe if it is ICH.
It's only early stages of it is. Just raise your water temp to 86 for two weeks and perform large water changes every two days vacuuming the bottom as close as you can go to the sand.

I recommend turning the lights off until the problem stops as this will reduce stress and is stunts the reproductive cycle of ich. Also treatment is required but make sure you don't have scaleless fish in your aquarium as most cures will kill them if not dosed properly. Most lfs carry white spot cures as it is a very common problem. Unfortunately the ram does look very thin so it may struggle during the process take as much care as possible and good luck.

False, wrong and what?
Crank the heat up to 86. How long have you had this ram? How long has the tank been running? She looks really sad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This tank has been running since July, but the filter has been going since May. I've had the 2 gbr for about 3 months. She started acting like this about 2 days ago and the white spots appeared yesterday

I work in an Lfs and this strategy has worked for me, just my experience. it's not 'false' or 'wrong' it just means you may have an alternative solution

I work in an Lfs and this strategy has worked for me, just my experience. it's not 'false' or 'wrong' it just means you may have an alternative solution

Yes but what actually stunts the ICH cycle and growth is the raise in water temp. Yes turning the lights off will supposedly stress the fish less.

Ultimately the less stress on the fish is key so they can bring their immune system back up to scratch

Yes but what actually stunts the ICH cycle and growth is the raise in water temp. Yes turning the lights off will supposedly stress the fish less.

Throw a blanket over the tank. Sure.. having the lights off while.yoire observing sick fish? Assuming you're putting your face up against the glass 40 times an hour to check in? Probably just be better to leave the lights on so the fish are attentive and alert rather than half asleep...

Ok well I'm keeping the lights off and have raised the temp only a lil, at 80 now. When I get home I'll raise it more

I keep the lights off during the day anyway when I'm not home. I let the natural light from outside light the tank

Throw a blanket over the tank. Sure.. having the lights off while.yoire observing sick fish? Assuming you're putting your face up against the glass 40 times an hour to check in? Probably just be better to leave the lights on so the fish are attentive and alert rather than half asleep...

My point exactly...it's a bit hard to observe the progress of the fish if she is all washed out and with no lights on.

This is the first time I've dealt with this in the 2 years in this hobby. So all the info I can get is greatly appreciated. Can ich kill?

This is the first time I've dealt with this in the 2 years in this hobby. So all the info I can get is greatly appreciated. Can ich kill?

Eventually it can yeah and if one fish has it then there's a chance all fish may have it. Which is why you basically treat the whole tank ecosystem

Yes, providing more info. will help though. You say you turned the temp. Up to 80? What was it at? Rams prefer warmer water, 80-81 is ideal, 82-83 is better... Tell us about your setup. Supposedly ich is present at all times in the tank, stress will leave fish prone to outbreak.

I usually keep the tank between 75-80. I have 2 heaters so I have one set a lil lower then the other, just before I left I raised it to 80. I didn't want to raise it to much to quickly so I'll do more when I get home. It's a community tank that's why I keep it between 75 and 80.

That's far to low for rams, the swings alone will stress fish. Can you get it at a constant 80? What else is in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom