White spots on neons tail fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya! I'm hoping I get off easy on this one! Lesson learned, qt 10 gal is hidden in my closet from my gf;) hey how'd that set up running tank get under that pile of clothes?!?!

Is this ich!?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389312210.352619.jpg
Noticed a few spots on my cuda... He's been eating fine (baby mollies) which is probably how he contracted it.

Someone please help! Water temp is at 80 but I'm slowly raising it hoping to catch this early.

Got spots on second neon, should I be worried? Temp has been at 86 for 3 days now..
During the first couple days of treatment the worst of the symptoms come out so this is normal. Be sure to do as many PWC's as you can and clean the substrate really well each time to remove as many of the cysts as you can. Also leave the lights off for the entire course of treatment.

During the first couple days of treatment the worst of the symptoms come out so this is normal. Be sure to do as many PWC's as you can and clean the substrate really well each time to remove as many of the cysts as you can. Also leave the lights off for the entire course of treatment.
Lights off is new, I feel like I'm already stressing the plants with the high temp, leaving the lights off could not help this??

Not sure if I missed what plants you have, but your average low-med light plants should be just fine if they are healthy to begin with. I've never had an issue with plants during heat and lights off treatment, but I'm talking about low tech planted tanks.

You are not using salt, correct?

If it continues to spread you may to QT them. If QT isnt an option and salt is out of the question you may need an ich med. Dont worry yourself though, ich is easily cured and controlled and hardly ever results in death by ich alone. Try Heat and extra syphoning for a week as it can elominate it by itself. What temperature is the tank now as it stand?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
IME heat alone is just as effective as heat and salt, and personally I've never had to think about using meds. Ideally you should be symptom free in about a week and you want to keep your heat up for another week after that.

Since I stopped using salt I've had the exact same result with heat treatment as I did with heat and salt.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here, but add an airstone and/or reduce the water level to create extra surface agitation as the high heat reduces the dissolved oxygen levels.

Just be careful if you do decide to use ich medication. The type I have used was successful, but I used only half the dose as directed for tetras. Good luck!

Just be careful if you do decide to use ich medication. The type I have used was successful, but I used only half the dose as directed for tetras. Good luck!
I'm really trying to avoid medication all together but if It comes down to it I'll keep that in mind, thanks!!

It's still just just the one tail but it's starting to look pretty bad, elongated and crooked at best.. Thoughts??

Based on the presentation and disappearance of white spots on another fish.. Most likely. Right???

Back
Top Bottom