Who Am I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobrummel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone tell me what kind of tetra this is? It was sold to me as a random one that the lfs received with their shipment of fish.

It is about the size of my Cardinal but a little thicker bodied. I would love to get some friends if I can figure out what it is!

It is pictures here with the blind eye side of my Bolivian Ram:)
Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
It appears to be a black neon tetra alongside a very fat/Baloon German Blu ram.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Black line?

Do all black neon tetras have a black line? My fish doesn't have a black line at all. The only black is the two tiny dots at the ends of the other stripe.

When I was given the other fish, I was told it was a Bolivian ram. But as far as if it is fat...well, it could be! Maybe he needs to go on a diet! :lol:

I was thinking black neon at first but it looks more like a Costello or January tetra.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I say black neon. I keep them myself and they look very similar to what you got there.

And depending when you got him(I'm guessing he's a new fish), they tend to be discolored like that, give it a week or two, he'll darken up and you'll really see how it's a black neon

Long term resident

Actually, I've had this fish for about a year. He has always been this color although His iridescent line is more vibrant now than when I first got him. I am not discounting that he may not live in the most ideal conditions at times so he probably wouldn't look as spectacular as some of you guy's fish!!

Actually, I've had this fish for about a year. He has always been this color although His iridescent line is more vibrant now than when I first got him. I am not discounting that he may not live in the most ideal conditions at times so he probably wouldn't look as spectacular as some of you guy's fish!!

Hmm, yeah maybe he doesn't feel comfortable so he hasn't brightened up. Get 5 more black neons if you can and watch them go, they are neat fish.

I know you took a picture of it but was ur flash on? check this out. It might be a glowlight tetra. check this web site out and let me know. if its not it I will keep looking.

Glowlight Tetra Fish

Still looks like a Costello or January Tetra. Google image search results below. The black patch at the base of the tail (and not throughout the body) is something the fish in question and these have in common:
eldfYrah.jpg

Still looks like a Costello or January Tetra. Google image search results below. The black patch at the base of the tail (and not throughout the body) is something the fish in question and these have in common:
eldfYrah.jpg

But look at the size of the original and the Costello. Red eye tetras have the shape that is smallest before the tail and wide in the middle. The Costello is more like a neon tetra shape, is it not?

<g.m.t.a>

I think ur right. I agree with you fresh2o

Sent from my XT1254 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a head and tail light tetra, I have a school of 5 in with my lemons and glotetras.

Its a black neon tetra i have 4. I have done research on these and no one seems to know exactly why they lose the color. People say its stress and some say its a hiding technique they use when they feel scared. I have put API stress coat in and they seem to get the black back after a little. But when I go to bed at night and wake up in the morning they lose the black again and after i turn on my LED lights they seem to get it back. Same thing with my Blood fin Tetras, sometimes ill walk in and their fins are clear and after they start swimming around and stop hiding they have very bright full red fins. So id say add some stress coat or just wait and see if it goes black.

I'm still saying black neon, it's washed out because it's solo. I have a bunch of them, the lateral line to red dot is right on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could be, I suppose. It just looks exactly like my head and tail lights. From the red eye, to the black spots at the tail and behind the gill plates, it's a dead match.

Back
Top Bottom