Who is eating who???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saywill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am down to 4 fish in my tank. Someone is eating all the other fish. I can't figure out who is the guilty party. It is either the snowflake eel, or the lunar wrasse. What do you guys think?? I know it would be purely guessing.

need more info... other fish/inverts/anemone?
how long have they been missing after you added them?
how big is the eel compaired to the fish?
SFE are not known fish eaters... But if hungry you never know.

I would be very surprised if it was the snowflake. Since they are crustacean eaters in the wild, it isn't really common for them to eat other fish. I did have my 20" snowflake eat a 4" goby, but he did it to steal his den, it wasn't a random attack or to eat.

Make sure you check things like the sump (if you have one) or behind LR to see if they managed to get themselves down there. I had a different goby that I couldn't find for two days, and figured he was eaten. I was performing maintenance on the sump a couple days later and saw him swimming around down there. He managed to live through the entire trip down to the sump and through three chambers, so you never know where they may turn up.

The lunar wrasse may eat smaller fish. If you find it's your snowflake eel I would gladly trade, as I would like to remove several damsels from my tank, organically.

2 blue devil damsels, 1 blue/green chromis have been eaten. I recently removed all the crushed coral for my tank, so I moved everything in the whole tank to get it all out. These fish are gone.
I have no anenome's or inverts in the tank.

Well, I guess it doesn't matter who is eating who anymore. Here is the latest. I gave a friend of mine the lunar wrasse, so he is gone. While I was moving everything around in my tank to make way for sand, my snowflake eel died. I am not sure whether he got injured by me moving the rocks around, or couldn't take the stress. I do know that he wouldn't eat for a week after I took all the crushed coral out. So all I have left is one purple psuedo and 1 blue green chromis, both are about an inch in length. Anyone have some ideas for new fish? I would like to keep the tank peaceful, and colorful.

I would suggest a couple more blue-green chromis and maybe a goldstripe maroon clown.

Back
Top Bottom