who is the culprit?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55 gallon tank that housed a samll (under 2 inch, not counting finnage) Niger Trigger, a small Hawaiian Bluespot Puffer and a large Lunare Wrasse. Everyone had been getting along, eating well together.
Last night, I went to feed and the puffer was dead. It had not been ill. It looked like a miniature great white shark had taken a huge bite out of its back. To be honest, I have never seen anything quite like this. It was not post death predation by a cleanup crew as there is NO cleanup crew. No crabs, no shrimp.....

The wrasse would have been big enough, but I did not think they did this type of thing. The Niger just did not seem to have the size to it, plus, they are not known for being super aggressive (yes, I know that is as far as triggers are concerned)

Any input as to who did this?

What equipment is in the tank (intakes/pumps mainly) and do you have a cat?

Cheers
Steve

The tank has two HOB filters, an aquaclear and a tetratec, the intakes have fine meshed grating over them. The tank is closed tightly as I knew the wrasse is inclined to carpet surf. I do own a cat, huge, fat and lazy. Unless the fish come in a can, he is not interested.

Quite the mystery then. The Lunare is quite mischievious but the only problem I have ever had with them in terms of fish species are blennies & gobies. They usually even get along well with other wrasses. As far as the Niger trigger goes, I have never had issue with other fish at all.

Neither of those filter intakes would leave a gash.

The only thing I can think of is post death predacean from one of it's tank mates??

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom