Why has my salt turned brown. ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua786

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I I've recently mixed some salt into my tank, and just noticed there's a small pile of salt on the bottom of my tank, but the salt has turned from white, from when I put it in, to a dark brown/black. What shud I do with it ? Shall I siphon it out or shall I swish it about till it dissolves ?

Attachments

• image-3719084329.jpg
    image-3719084329.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 175
Aqua786 said:
I I've recently mixed some salt into my tank, and just noticed there's a small pile of salt on the bottom of my tank, but the salt has turned from white, from when I put it in, to a dark brown/black. What shud I do with it ? Shall I siphon it out or shall I swish it about till it dissolves ?

Sure its salt? might just be where the dirt and such gathered ive never heard of salt turning brown

I'm not sure. If it isn't salt what could it be. There was deffo no dirt from before.
If it helps, the salt I use was tetra marine.

It cud be, I'm just gna mix it up again and see if it dissolves.

ccCapt said:
Could possibly be impurities that were in the salt mix.

My guess as well, depending on how manu gallons you mixed i can see that being normal. Many brands of salt with have varying left over impurities that settle out after mixing usually appearing like a brown/tan dust.

I would siphon out as much as you can while its sitting there.

Schism said:
My guess as well, depending on how manu gallons you mixed i can see that being normal. Many brands of salt with have varying left over impurities that settle out after mixing usually appearing like a brown/tan dust.

I would siphon out as much as you can while its sitting there.

Oh... I was actually touching it and as soon as I touched it, it dissolved.. Is this alright ?

Aqua786 said:
Oh... I was actually touching it and as soon as I touched it, it dissolved.. Is this alright ?

Doubt its anything to worry about. Im sure its fine.

Back
Top Bottom