Why no ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sakska02

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently started a 14g biocube. i bought 12 lbs of live rock and the tank has been up for almost a month. i have seen no ammonia or nitrites and the nitrates are around 10. I am using the api saltwater master kt to test. Why hasnt there been any ammonia or nitrites? has it not been long enough?

the rock could be cured, leaving no die off. In this case you will have to provide a source of pure ammonia via ace hardware or a raw shrimp.

ok how long after adding that should i see the levels rise?

well depends on what you add. if you add pure ammonia you willl see levels right then, with a shrimp it takes a few days for the rotting process to be in full effect.

Punch a bunch of holoes in a plastic xiplock bag. put the shrimp in it for easy and less smelly removal.

If it is completely cured rock there is no need to put your raw shrimp in there. You may want to add a pinch of food and check your levels to make sure the bio filitration is working properly.

If it is completely cured rock there is no need to put your raw shrimp in there. You may want to add a pinch of food and check your levels to make sure the bio filitration is working properly.
I agree. If the rock is cured then the bacteria in the rock will keep everything at a decent level. Just make sure to introduce livestock slowly so the bacteria can increase its colony at the same rate as you increase livestock.

Back
Top Bottom