Why So Much Brown??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Another Fish Guy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone!

My tank is starting to get some brown algae on the back glass and on the decorations. I've done some reading around and see that this mostly happens in new tanks, but my tank has been up and running for well over a year now.

I will admit that I'm a bit on the overstocked side for a 60 gallon community, but I'm running two Emperor 400 filters and do 50% weekly water changes. Ammonia and Nitrite are always at 0ppm and Nitrates don't make it over 20ppm. I have the Satellite LED light bar that I run for about 10 hours a day.

I added some Ottos to hopefully help with the algae, but I'm not sure if there's anything else I can do to prevent it?

Any ideas?

Not near a window at all. The last few days I've actually only been running the lights 5 hours a day...but I still see the brown getting worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could try a two or three day black out and see what happens, just lights out and cover the tank entirely in towels. Can we see a picture of the Algae? It is hard to diagnose exactly what you have because there are a lot of brownish algaes.

Here is a picture of it. I feed once a day and do weekly water changes of 50%.

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1433979460067.jpg
    1433979460067.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 74
It looks to me from the picture that your decorations are not living. If that is the case, there is no reason to keep the lights on except when you want to enjoy looking at your tank. The fish will be fine in the ambient light, unless in a closet or dark basement. I would say turn off the lights until you want to enjoy looking at your tank.

Doesn't look like diatoms to me... But if it is they will just eat the silicates. No more silicates= no more diatoms.

Caleb

I have had this problem for a couple months now. All decorations are fake. I know I'm overstocked...but I do weekly water changes of 50% and my nitrates are never over 20ppm. I do know that I have very soft water...not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom