Wigglers 2: Birth of a hatchery & everything Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it didn't take them long to lay more eggs. They laid some yesterday on two leafs. I have already removed the leafs to a separate container.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Autumn,

The eggs have hatched and I moved the wiggles into a rearing jar which is sitting in the tank that the parents are in.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470329918.096135.jpg

Yea the jars are suppose to keep the fry from getting any type of fungus or bacteria on them due to the sponge filters and constant flow of water. It also gives them a better chance of survival.

Yea I think there timing is a little off. Lol. The others are doing well. I need to transfer them out of the jar to get ready for the new batch to go in.

Hi Andy,
I just wanted to see how all of your babies are doing and to ask you a question.

At what point do you switch them over from brine shrimp to flakes or some other type of food.

Hi Andy,
I just wanted to see how all of your babies are doing and to ask you a question.

At what point do you switch them over from brine shrimp to flakes or some other type of food.

Sorry for the delay in answering. I forgot to check out my own thread the past few weeks. :facepalm:

Usually at about a week or so after they start sprouting their fins, I start the process of mixed feedings eventually removing the live brine from the diet and replacing it with flake and some added decap shrimp eggs. As the fish grow larger, I replace the growth foods with more standard foods(flakes) that promote both health and growth.

As for my babies, I am on to the F1 phase of breeding. However, since I was away for most of the month of June and had a number of issues to deal with once I got back, I really haven't had much time to play with the spawns. Non were successfully parent raised. I just recently started pulling spawns again over to the house. Right now there are 4 spawns that have hatched in the past 2 or 3 days. Hopefully these will have some good results and I can then let the original pairs go on the sale block. (y)

I did just get another present from my buddy down South. I got a breeding trio :eek: of 1/2 Black Veil Angels. ( My favorite Angelfish :D ) I'll let them have a couple of weeks to adjust then try to get them to spawn. THAT, I'm excited about.:D(y)

That's ok Andy. I know things can get pretty busy in our daily lives. I sometimes go a couple of weeks myself without checking my social apps.

Glad things are looking up on the baby front. Congrats on the new trio they are definitely a beautiful fish. Look forward to seeing some pics if you get time.

The hatchery has once again expanded and now has some Betta fry as well. :facepalm: Next will be more cory fry and hopefully Tetra fry.
As for the Angels, they seem to be back into "breeding" mode as they are popping about every 7-10 days now. Too many spawns from unproven pairs however. Now, I need to be a bit more selective as to which spawns I keep and which ones I ignore. I'm trying new combinations to see what happens ( and really get into their genetics) so for now, those seem to be the priority. HOWEVER,after almost 2 years of predictable spawns from 1 pair, I got 3 unusual fish from a spawn so you never know what you are going to get when. :huh:
I've also had a few "surprises" in my Guppies. I seem to have generated 2 types of red Guppies and I really like both. So now, I need to start separating them to create good lines to work with.
Bottom line: I think I need a bigger place. :facepalm::banghead::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom